Cheap Rack, Foam Blocks

Foam blocks and straps are the cheap way to upgrade a factory rack or roof top to carry a boat. They are now on sale at West Marine. Sale ends 12-31-18. See the link…………https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood--kayak-car-top-carrier-kit--18462770

Upgrade the cam straps if you go this route. The cheap ones are very stretchy. We decided almost unanimously not too long ago that Thule makes the best cam straps.

If you want “best” you’re not going after cheap.

Granted, but buy enough of the cheapest and the best start to look like a better deal very quickly.

I carry a set (as spare) in the car at all times.

I don’t lock my rack on the car, so, if stolen (never has been), I have a backup.

They make foam blocks with pre cut slots to fit over square, round or oval crossbars. They work well for the occasional extra boat and pop off when not in use.

Not a bad price. While I have a Hullavator, there’s space on the other half of the roof to carry another boat (I think). Wonder if trimming the foam blocks to fit would work.

I use the foam blocks on my thule roof rack and yakima rack & roll trailer bars exclusively Good protection for the bottom and non-marring. The straps are another story. I have had two budget metal cam buckle assemblies break, luckily when cinching down prior to hitting the road. I agree that Thule makes the best straps and cam buckles.

@Rookie said:
Not a bad price. While I have a Hullavator, there’s space on the other half of the roof to carry another boat (I think). Wonder if trimming the foam blocks to fit would work.

Sure would…

I’ve had my first set of Thule straps since 2004 and they are still the first of the dozen or so pairs of straps in my stash that I grab when I load boats. So they have probably been used hundreds of times. I’ve got a newer set of the Thules, but they are longer than I usually need (won’t cut them because I do use them for large non-boat loads and for canoes). After trying a couple of other makers’ straps, including L.L, Bean’s house brand and NRS, I still prefer the Thules and trust them the most. Once I snug them up, they don’t stretch or move – the webbing texture is perfect and the cam buckles are indestructible. I keep them stored in a small duffle bag in the car at all times, protected from UV. Every once in a while I wash all my straps, soaking overnight in mild soapy water, then running them through a rinse cycle in the washer coiled in a mesh bag after which I hang them up in the basement to dry.)

The difference in cost between a pair of Thule straps and a pair of inferior straps is about the cost of a fancy Starbucks coffee. One of those rare situations where the very best option is very affordable.

I have had long service from Yakima straps. Had one fail after several years. The buckle broke.

New River Straps are the best I have used.

@Overstreet Thanks for that post. I knew I’d be passing a West Marine in my travels today so I stopped in. Not in stock but they’re shipping it at n/c. Good deal if I ever need to carry a second boat. Also handy to set a boat on when modifying cockpit fit.

@Rookie said:
@Overstreet Thanks for that post. I knew I’d be passing a West Marine in my travels today so I stopped in. Not in stock but they’re shipping it at n/c. Good deal if I ever need to carry a second boat. Also handy to set a boat on when modifying cockpit fit.

I’ve often used them when working on my boats.