Chesapeake 17 vs. Valley Skerray

Hello y’all,

I recently went to a kayak event and learned some rolls, and now I’m much more keen on rolling and maneuverability. I have a Necky Tesla, and I’m looking for something with harder chines, more rocker, and less volume.

I’ve been searching around, and in my area the best two options in my price range are a Chesapeake 17 and a Valley Skerray RM. There’s a wealth of opinion on the boards about both of these, but I’m curious if anyone has experience in paddling both of them and can compare the two. For sizing reference, I’m 6’4", fairly narrow hips, and a size 13 shoe.

Thanks!

Hello Michael Welcome to the forum!
I personally have no experience with either one of those 2 kayaks, but your comment about “your price range” give us all nothing to go on because you didn’t post what that number was. Now if there are only those 2 kayak as your only 2 options you are asking the correct question, either “A” or “B”.

But if you are looking for opinions and options from a lot of kayakers who do have a huge amount of knowledge and experience, it would be best to post a top figure you’d like to stay at or under. In that way other paddlers here can more easily address the mission statement you are interested in.

Here is what we know: You are 6’ 4" tall, somewhat slim and have size 13 feet, You want a playful kayak that is easy to roll and seem to be willing to trade speed in a straight line for maneuverability.

So, if the question is as posted and you only want to make comparisons of those 2 kayaks and exclude all others, the top end cost is probably irrelevant. But if you are more interested in comparison of those 2 with all comers that will fulfill your mission statement, that top end cost is foundational to the discussion

Hope this is helpful. if not, simply ignore it.
:slight_smile: Happy paddling

Hey szhin,

Thanks for the response. I think you got my mission statement dead on. I live in Madison, WI, and am doing most of my practicing and paddling on the lakes there - trying to travel more, but even then, I’m not getting into a ton of big waves, though I’d like to. So, I’m trying to find ways to play around more, instead of just paddling straight along for a period of time then turning around. When I do travel, I’ll intend to get into as much surf as possible.

My price range tops out at 1,000 dollars. So, I’m looking through used options. I’m also trying to travel only about two hours to check out a kayak, so that has narrowed things down considerably, to the point that the Chesapeake 17 and Valley Skerray are the only two real contenders at this point.

The Skerray seems like it may have more of what I’m looking for performance-wise, but I’m a bit worried about it’s cockpit. It’s 28" x by 15", and an ocean style. I like the Chesapeake’s keyhole cockpit, but it’s dimensions are almost identical to my Necky Tesla. Granted, all three are 24" wide, which I was hoping to thin down from, but the low deck of the Skerray and the hard chines of the Chesapeake are different enough from my Tesla that either seemed like an improvement.

I’m certainly interested for information’s sake in other kayaks that paddlers would compare to these two, or think would be a better option for a tall person looking for kayak to play in and take into rough water. And in the interest of specificity, I’m curious if anyone with very long legs has had problems with the Skerray’s ocean cockpit, either getting in or getting enough knee movement.

Thanks y’all

Can’t comment on the Chesapeake 17, but I’ve owned a Skerray RM (as one of several boats) for near on 20 years. I’m a bit smaller than you (3 inches and 2 shoe sizes down) but the boat is very roomy for me and would probably fit you snugly. It’s not the fastest boat, but it is stable, rolls very easily and is very maneuverable. It is good in rough water. I use mine primarily for swim support events, where its stability, extra volume, and maneuverability are very useful, and when I’m instructing, where its maneuverability, stability and easy rolling are helpful. Based on your intended use, it would be a good choice as long as it fits you well (i.e., size it before you buy it). These are all old boats at this point. If consistently stored indoors, they can still be in very good shape (mine is) and they tend to go for low prices–$400 to $700 should get you one in very good shape.

1 Like

…and you are putting a Chesapeake 17 in that group. It is a touring boat. It will carry a lot of gear. The 17lt is lighter. The C-17 is a beginner boat. It likes to go straight. Maneuverable? ,…not so much without a lot of EFFORT. Rolling?..maybe, but mine likes to be upside down .

. It tends to be a windward boat and turns into the wind. The hard Chine influences it to follow waves on the beam rather than level up and over.

Don’t get me wrong it is a good boat. We’ve had it in 2-4ft waves in Lake Superior and survived. It has been to Yellowstone lake, Scoodic, Maine, Lake Michigan, couple hundred miles of St Johns river, and several coastal locations, rivers and lakes between those areas.

After 9 years I’m tired of it and have a Petrel Sport in the shop getting ready to take it’s prime space.