Chines?

Obviously many things in the design of a hull (rocker, volume,length, width, chines etc.) will dictate how a boat paddles and performs, but when you look at some boats that are similar except their chines may be the biggest difference then what will the choice of one chine do for you that another might not. For instance it is routinely stated that the Valley Pintail is really the Valley Anas Acuta with a much softer chine so when will the hard chine of the Anas be an advantage over the Pintail or vice versa. Why or what conditions would the hard chine be advantageous and why or when would a soft chine be more effective?

Built a couple based upon a very basic and generic knowledge of hull designs. Enjoyed the process, but learned more about what I didn’t know then what I did.

more on chines
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=528154

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=471148

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=484352

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=500084

All Other Things Being Equal
The hard chines will give a better carve on a leaned turn but the secondary will feel “edgier” with a sort of “hinged” feel. The rounded chines will feel smoother and more progressive going on edge. Slides out more (or is more “foregiving”) on leaned turns.

Advantage? None. Though there might be a matter of perference. Someone comfortable with having the boat on edge and has bracing and rolling skills. Will adjust in 5 minutes and get on with it.

sing

The boat’s use
If you’re fishing, taking photographs, carrying a load in rough seas, or othr things that favor higher initial stability, the hard chine boat may be your ride. For speed and efficiency, go with the round bottom.

And then, there’s wht feels good to you. I like a hard chine because I can change the cross section shape with a lean, giving me options in different wind and wave conditions.

Beats Me
"For instance it is routinely stated that the Valley Pintail is really the Valley Anas Acuta with a much softer chine so when will the hard chine of the Anas be an advantage over the Pintail or vice versa."

Many say this about the Pintail, but I think they are rather different boats for several reasons in addition to differences in the chines not the least of which is the width. I’m not sure there is a chine on the Pintail as it always seemed a rounded hull shape to me. I doubt it is possible to say their different handling characteristics are the result of hard chine v. rounded hull IMHO.

The only things I have noticed in my limited experience is that boats with a flat, vertical side regardless of the nature of the chine tend to get pushed about in some situations, rounded hulls tend never to effected that way, hard chines tend to give a boat a razor/precise feel when carving turns which makes them either better or worse on a wave face depending upon the paddler, and once broached and being pushed things happen very fast in a hard chined boat while boats like the Pintail tend to slid all over the place with a vague feeling which is a good or bad characteristic depending on the paddler.

four panel plywood kayaks
have great secondary stability sitting on roof racks.

what useful info…
leeg, you’ve been spending a lot of time on b&b. share some of your knowledge, some of these folks probably don’t know where you’re coming from : )

Well, If Deck Down
on the rack and strapped in, it has great primary stability.

sing

rock solid
nothing like flat surfaces!

sarcasm rules

– Last Updated: Jan-02-07 11:29 AM EST –

straight and flat is manly, bold and virile. simple. conservative... curves are subtle, feminine, soft and gentle. complex. progressive...

Chines do what
the catalogue and marketing folks tell you! If you really want to understand hull characteristics seek that info elsewhere. Mariner Kayaks web site, Jonathan Winters, Epic Kayaks, Guillemot Kayaks, George Gronseth’s Kayak Academy to name a few. Hull design is complex and what makes a hull do a certain thing may be very different than what people believe makes it do a certain thing. Having said that, one’s perception is their reality, so if they believe the edges on their Elaho are what makes it work the way it does, thats OK. Good day.

Hey !!
I LOVE the edges on my Elaho !!!

:wink:

I concur…
…and I own both of the boats in question.