Choosing 1st Kayak!

Hey folks! I’m purchasing my. 1st Kayak. There are only 2 places where I live that sells them so I’m looking at a Riot Quest 11 and a Current Designs Kestrel 120. Can anyone recommend either or? Cheers!

They are both recreational kayaks,that is intended for safe, quiet ponds and rivers. Not out in big lakes, the ocean or whitewater of any rating. (Despite what a salesperson may have told you.)

You post does not indicate which of the above you will be paddling in. So there is no way for anyone to recommend either boat as it stands right now - at least without a boatload of caveats.

Read up the resources on this site to learn about the different categories of kayaks, why each group has the features it does. Then review whether either of the above boats are apt for your needs. Seasoned paddlers often recommend buying used to start, since newbies very often find their needs changing as they paddle.
https://paddling.com/learn/category/getting-started/understanding-watercraft/

Can’t find a Riot QUEST 11 only a Quest 10. If that’s the case the Kestrel 120 would be a better choice.

Besides what kind of waters you intend to paddle (and what kind of trips you plan: sitting and fishing? photography? overnight camping? distance paddling for fitness?) your physical proportions are relevant in what boat you choose. Kayaks are not “one size fits alls.” Your height, weight and even fitness level are factors that go into choosing a kayak.

I agree that starting with a used boat is the best option. You will not know what exactly suits you until you have paddled for a while – most of us end up with a different kayak after the first season or two as our needs for various options and performance features become clear. You can usually recover most or even all of your expense in reselling a used boat rather than one that you bought new. Though at the this time of year one can often find decent markdown deals at shops seeking to reduce stock.

Sorry folks…
I’ll be boating in rivers and ocean…no white water.
i’m 6"3, 220lbs, looking for go for a few hours at a time.

If ocean then neither. Take a look at those resources I listed above. Ocean means two bulkheaded areas (front and back) and perimeter rigging. These boats have neither.
This is from CD’s own site - they agree that the Kestrel is not for the ocean. “Recreational kayaks are perfect for small lakes and slow rivers where nimble handling wins over speed and load carrying capacity.:”

I would advise you to find a different outfit to buy from, or go used. If you say where you are you will find some folks on this board are geniuses at hunting up good used deals.

@PaddlingCam said:
Sorry folks…
I’ll be boating in rivers and ocean…no white water.
i’m 6"3, 220lbs, looking for go for a few hours at a time.
I’m in PEI, Canada. Not alot of used kayaks kicking around
Looking at one now that has 2 bulkheads… Riot quest 13

Here’s a good article to peruse: http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayaks/

There’s a 17yr old 15ft Old Tow Nantucket kayak for sale… Maybe a good 1st one to buy

I don’t know the used boat resources in your area, but I did a quick search for kayaking on Prince Edward Island and found the following tour operators/outfitters who definitely put their people into sea kayaks. On of them presently has no used boats for sale but clearly does from time to time, it was Outside Expeditions. It would be worth a call to see if they have anything coming up for sale after the end of this month. And calling the rest to check for used resources…

By-The-Sea-Kayaking & Adventures
Canoe & Kayak Rental Service
Victoria, PE, Canada

Malpeque Bay Kayak Tours Ltd
Canoe & Kayak Tour Agency
Malpeque, PE, Canada

Outside Expeditions
Canoe & Kayak Tour Agency
North Rustico, PE, Canada

Outside Expeditions
Canoe & Kayak Rental Service
Brudenell, PE, Canada

@PaddlingCam said:
There’s a 17yr old 15ft Old Tow Nantucket kayak for sale… Maybe a good 1st one to buy

That’s the best one yet for your size.

Thank you Celia!

PaddlingCam, there is no reason why you should settle for a “first boat”. Get a great boat and for you, I would strongly suggest a Current Designs Sirocco. It will fit you and it will go anywhere and brand new they are very affordable. When you get ready for your next boat, keep the Sirocco for your backup. It will never let you down and it will even do all the work if and when you need to roll it, or brace up.

Yes, a 13’ boat is not sufficient for the ocean, particularly the Atlantic coastal areas where you are, and that length is way too small for somebody your size. You need volume to effectively displace your mass and a shorter boat has to be too wide to achieve that much volume to be suitable for northern coastal conditions. You need the volume stretched out longer and narrower for those waters. And absolutely need sealed bulkheads and deck rigging.

It would be best for you to connect with one of the outfitters, as Celia suggests. Coastal kayaking in the Canadian Maritimes is serious business. My good friend and paddling guru, Dennis, who lives in Ontario, is an expert sea kayaker, in fact he was the Canadian National downriver champion several times in his younger days. But he will not solo paddle in the Maritimes and only goes out with other experienced paddlers who have skills in surf, self and assisted rescue and who have equipment for cold water.

Definitely get a boat with front and rear bulkheads, deck rigging etc. if you are going in the ocean. As far as length, I’d say probably at least 16’ at your size, longer would likely be better. Check Craigslist for used boats…you can find things that look like they have potential and then look up reviews and specs to see if they seem like they would work. Someone above mentioned the CD Sirocco; I’ve never paddled it (we are on opposite ends of the size spectrum so I think it would be way too big; I have the Squamish which you probably would have a hard time getting into) but have heard good things from others. Maybe you can go to some of your local outfitters and rent a couple different boats to get an idea of what you like.

Just to echo what Wollowleaf said - if you really plan to paddle ocean around PEI get a basic lesson or two in BEFORE it gets cold. That means you are running close on time. You need to understand what you don’t understand yet, and a proper lesson is the fastest way to get that.

Those waters are midcoast Maine plus a few notches in terms of risk. I paddle solo very conservatively around my vacation base in midcoast. It happens to be in a bay with a lot of ways to reduce risk if you pay attention to tides and weather. 25 plus years ago my husband and I found this place and it has continued to be perfect thru two decades of changes, we got lucky.

But no way would I paddle solo Bay of Fundy or up. Or even some down, around about Rocque Bluffs/Machias I would reduce a lot.

Just about everyone and their cousin around the Bay of Fundy have P&H boats. Maybe it was a group buy.

I suspect it is the influence of a coach from midcoast who has been running clinics up there and is also a P&H rep.