Choosing a fishing kayak

I am 5’6" 185 Lbs. Would an Old Town Predator 111 be a big enough kayak for me or would a 12-14’ kayak be a better choice?

Thanks

Check out this site.
http://kfs.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=418607442

It’s leans towards sit on top yaks but it has a lot of good info for the yak fisherman. FishHawk

Information
You need to give us more info. What species are you fishing for? Where are you fishing? Are you choosing a smaller boat because of size and weight constraints or water type? There are a lot of fishing kayaks out there as it is a huge market. Give us a clue.

More Info
Bass and trout mainly. Flatwater up to class II as far as water types. I have always been a canoe person until I fell upon a kayak and absolutely fell in love with kayaking. My current yak is a Perception Swifty. I want to let my son have it and upgrade. Don’t really want a SOT and I have looked at the Old Town Predator 111, and Dirigo 120 and 140. I don’t have any way to try these boats and wanted info from more experienced kayakers.

Those are all good fishing kayaks.
The Pedator 111 will be the most manueverable, has a large cockpit, tracks well, and will do the job. The Dirigo’s are great too…like the rear hatch and the flat rear deck…good for storage and carrying gear. The 120 is the more manueverable in faster water and narrow waterways. The 140, like my Old Town Loon 138, will track the best, but doesn’t turn well. For lake fishing, the 120 or 140 is a bit better choice, particularly for big lakes.

The 111 would be my choice for tight and winding waterways, though the 120 will do quite well. Probably, the 120 is the best all around fishing kayak for both lakes and faster water. None of them are the wrong or right choice and you’ll be pleased with any of them. They are all a big improvement of the Swifty for fishing, though you may want to keep it for those really tight places.

You might want to send an email Shenendoah River Rat. The Rat has an OT Loon 111, the Predator is the Loon rebadged. He’ll give you a good low down on it.

Also, look at Heritage.
http://www.heritagekayaks.com

I have a liquid logic Stingray 14, which is now under the Heritage name (they’re both Confluence). The SR doesn’t track very well for a beginner (me), but I’ve read good things about the Featherlite’s, coming in both 12 & 14. Narrower than most recreational yaks at 25", so you should be much more efficient.

There a a bunch of recreational
kayaks that make bitching fishing machines. Wilderness Systems build the Pungo and Pamlico, though no longer the Pam 140…very popular for fishing and readily available both new and on the used market. Dagger builds the Blackwater…Dagger, like WS is a Confluence company. Perception has the America. Heritage has the Featherlites in 9.5, 12, and 14 ft lengths. I’ve a friend that bought 9.5, then a 14 footer, then sold the 14 and bought another 9.5. Though he fishes a big lake, he liked the 9.5 better. You’ve found the Old Town’s. Great kayaks, well built, and good tracking, but a bit on the heavy side.

I’d suggest posting on the fishing forum, but you’ve alread done so. Unfortunately, almost ever other kayak fishing website is firmly oriented to the sit on top world, almost to the exclusion and derision of sit insides. Lots of good information, but not about the type of kayaks you are considering.

Finally, don’t give up on canoes. I’ve gone back to canoes from my Old Town 138…at least for warmer months. Mine canoe is a solo Wenonah Sandpiper…13.5 ft, no longer made. I’ve had more fun both paddling and fishing from it than my kayak, though I love it too. Check out the Wenonah Vagabond, a great solo canoe both for fishing and paddling, very capable for the type of fishing and paddling you do.

Length
The 12’ boats would be better in the moving water while the 14’ boats would be better in the flat water. You might want to look at the Riot crossovers which are meant to do both. You can fish off of almost any kayak but some are better suited than others and it does not have to be a SOT.

On your size, all those kayaks you’ve
looked at and the others mentioned will work for your.

Here’s some more pnet info.
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=fishing&tid=751202