Chota Brookie Knee High Wading Sock

I just saw the Brookie Knee High Wading Sock in the Piragis catalog. It appears to be designed like the Mukluks, and waterproof, but worn as socks with your own wading shoes. What a combo that would be. At least, that’s what it seems. Any experiences with them?

http://chotooutdoorgear.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34_41&products_id=64

I already have Chota knee high mukluks, sealskinz socks, regular rubber boots, Muck Books, etc. and have various problems with each solution…it’s either fit, comfort, or waterproofness, durability, mucky wading, sure-foot requirements, etc., and I’m looking for a better solution.

I’d like to get some feedback on the Chota Brookie Wader. Is it too good to be true…a completely waterproof sock to be worn with your own paddling boots?

Pretty Good
I got mine a few years ago. They are neoprene, waterproof, and have a collar or cuff at the top that is lined with a smooth rubber that does a pretty good job of keeping water out if you step into some deeper water accidentally. There are straps to cinch them around your leg at the top, and that helps as well.

I bought mine because I realized that I needed something to keep my feet dry and warm in early and late season paddling trips. I figured that instead of getting some mukluks with a built in sole, I could use these less costly Brookies with my water shoes. They do the job for me coupled with my Keen water shoes. The Keen shoes have an innersole that I remove when I wear the Brookies.

For frequent serious cold weather paddle trips I might want to get the more substantial mukluk style. But if you are just an occasional cold water day tripper or weekend camper, I think you’ll be pleased with the Brookies.

Jeff

Thanks for the info…
I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone out there using them.

Most of the time, in my winter paddling, I just want warm dry feet, but sometimes I need good footing in mucky mud, dragovers or portages. My winter temps are usually pretty moderate, but some of the places I go are difficult or slippery. This weekend I had to pick my way over dead limbs, climb steep sandy slopes and both the put-in and take-out had over-the-ankle deep mucky mud.

When I saw the Brookies,I figured I could combine them with comfortable paddling shoes or boots I already have, and are compact enough to keep in the gear bag until needed.

Thanks for the info.

I
have a pair. they are a lot bulkier than hydroskin socks but warmer.

you might have to go up a size with your water shoe/sandal to use the Brookie in a shoe.

I wear mine for cold weather/water paddling in boats that a pair of mukluks with a sole would not fit.

The no sole thing makes them into a boat only sock for me. if you find a shoe to fit then maybe for some gunk walking.

My brookies wont fit in my crocks that I wear to the boat otherwise or with my sandals.

Might want to try a NRS rodeo sock…they’re not as warm as a pair of brookies, but they have a slight sole on them.

They are between brookies and hydroskin socks in warmth but would hold up to the trudging thing.

The brookies are just as warm as the chota lights with the sole. just not sure they would last very long trudging thru muck with objects in it.

Best Wishes

Roy

but hydrdoskin socks aren’t waterproof
Thanks Roy.

I’m in a canoe, so I’m not worried about fit in the boat and I don’t plan on wearing them without shoes or boots. The bulkiness had occurred to me, but since most of my winter footwear has already been sized for bulky wool socks, Sealskinz, or NRS neoprene socks maybe they’ll fit. Crocs are too slippery to wear in the mud, and the thicker muck sucked them right off my feet!

I’m just tired of settling between warm but wet feet or dry and warm but hurty feet! There just HAS to be a perfect solution! :slight_smile:

How is the comfort and fit?
How comfortable are they to wear? My sealskins fit better than the NRS neoprene socks. Do the Brookies fit the foot fairly well and conform to the shape of the foot or is it just a general sock shape you have to live with?

Fit
I wear thin poly socks under mine usually. I don’t have a problem with fit, they seem to stretch enough to conform to the shape of my foot. One caveat: when I put my watershoes on over them, I make sure that my toes don’t start out all scrunched into the tip of the Brookie. I grab the toe of the Brookie and pull it and wiggle my toes to make sure they have some room, then I put my watershoes on. Before I started doing this my toes would start to feel cramped and uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Jeff

the
Brookies are a about the same as the mukluk light, except without the sole. (same weight Neoprene etc.

http://chotooutdoorgear.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34_37&products_id=49

I bought mine so they didn’t fit real tight so if you bought smaller they would feel differant. Mine don’t fit in any shoe I own.

they are waterproof. I also have a pair of the mukluk lights.

Best Wishes

Roy

Nice and warm and flexible
I like them. I use them in the canoe without any shoes. They are flexible enough that I can quickly and easily get my feet back under the seat for kneeling … and back out again. I always wear poly socks with them - but I could still be comfortable with wool socks. On shore, I can wear my paddling sandals over them because the sandal straps can adjust to the large bulk of the wading sock.

Thank you all for the feedback…
It may be worth a try for me. It sounds like they hold up year after year (better than sealskinz) and are really waterproof…not just warm and wet like neoprene socks. And if I’m really lucky, they’ll fit inside my Salomen water shoes.

Thanks again.

Jill

I was just wondering
about wearing them without other footwear over them. I can’t get in my Betsie Bay Valkyire wearing my NRS boots. I have been using NRS Rodeo socks but they are low quarters, not good in the winter with the cold water. I’ll have to try the brookies.