Chota vs NRS boots?

Anyone have experieces with the Chota Quicklace mukluk or the NRS Boundry boot?? They both seem great for coldwater paddling and moderate wading/launching…

Well, I’ve Had the Chota’s…
…for several years now. Have had to use some “Shoe-Goo” to fix the soles, but they’ve been through a lot of abuse. All my late fall through spring paddling, hunting, wearing around the farm in the mud & muck. They’re too warm for summer, but I use them in the winter. When fastened at the top, they don’t leak through. I’ve had several unintentional swims with them on, and no problems with water getting in and weighing me down. When they finally die, I’ll be looking for another pair!

Been usin’ Chotas fer many a’year

– Last Updated: Nov-22-11 10:14 AM EST –

fer winter paddlin' dat be. Good mukluks, no complaints, but a bit more wampum compared ta de NRS Boundary Boots but woyth every red nickel.

FE

NRS

– Last Updated: Nov-22-11 12:47 PM EST –

My NRS boundary water boots have served me well for over 6 years; are still doing the job, and are worth every penny I paid for them in my opinion.

Get a little dampness(not wet)inside the boots from perspiration(they're fairly toasty boots)& the wool socks I wear with them. Boots & socks dry out real quick when I take boots off. I like the fact that the sole is fairly flexible. I knell in my canoes, have big feet, and want to be able to get feet under & out from under seat w/o big hassle.

Only complaints: They fit a little loose on me; so I really have to tighten drawstring at top, and velcro strap over front of ankle area. On rough, rocky shore a stiffer sole is nice;
BUT then I'd lose the flexibility I "really" want; so that's a personal issue, not necessarily a flaw in the NRS boots. I am careful in choosing a path; problem solved.

I have been considering buying a pair of Choata, but seems pointless now; what I have serves the intended purpose.

NRS is somewhat cheaper; which means little & much.
May try Choata on next "go round"?

BOB

Chota experience has been good
I got a pair of the Quicklace mukluks back in 2002. They are waterproof, warm, and comfortable. Mine have never leaked.

I first used them without any socks. That works because the inside is lined with a fuzzy material, but feet will be warmer and feel drier if you wear a pair of thin wool socks inside. Probably helps keep the boots from stinking, too!

After each use, I remove the insoles and turn the boots upside-down over a hot-air register to dry up any trace of dampness (from sweating). This has kept mine from getting smelly.

Tingleys

– Last Updated: Nov-22-11 6:50 PM EST –

are nice for many applications. I like them on trips because they roll up to a very small size. Great on canoe trips. Sort of like overgrown rubbers. I wear them over sneakers or bean boots, whatever. Best part is the price.

Chota
5 years . . .awesome boot.

The NRS boots
run about one size smaller than Chota’s. The NRS boots should be less expensive, but other than that they are very similar in form and function.

NRS of course

– Last Updated: Nov-23-11 6:33 PM EST –

I have had mine for about three years and love em. I must admit that I have had two previous pairs replaced by NRS because of some leakage. I don't think Chota will do that? Chota's are not readily available in my immediate area is another issue for me. If you do go with the NRS I would order a size larger if you plan on wearing them with socks and a dry suit.

had the NRS boots
as long as I can remember, I think 5-6 years now. Mine were steeply discounted ($25) and are a size big on me. Real comfortable, surprisingly dry (though they fill up after a swim), no tears or leaks. I usually wear them with a drysuit and thick wool socks, so the sizing then is fine. No experience with the Chota’s, I think those are for rich people, they look too nice for me.

No problems with NRS boots
If I had had them, I know NRS would stand behind them without question. I once ordered a pair of float bags from NRS. A month after receiving them, I received another pair (free), made from a different material. The note from NRS explained that they learned the first pair didn’t meet their standards.

Chota mukluks
On my third season with the quick-lace style. Love them, with smartwool socks. Winter in Florida, it can be 32 degrees in the morning and 70 in the afternoon, and these mukluks keep my feet warm but never feel hot even when the afternoon temps are much higher.

They’re very popular here.

They don’t stink, either.

My Chota Quicklace work pretty well.
My calves are too small for a complete seal at the top and I will get significant water in the top if I step in water higher than the boot is tall.

My right boot also has a very small leak in the top of the foot - probably from stretching it while kneeling in a canoe.

Other than those issues, I like them and would buy them again. I’ve had these about 4 or 5 years.

Chota
The chotas are a good choice if you wont do much if any kneeling. great ankle suport and thick soles. great if boots if you don’t kneel.stay very warm and comfy even after long periods of were. if you kneel much go with a boot that will flex with you.

another non kneeling boot worth looking at would be muck boots.

Tomaetoe, tomahto
I have the NRS Boundary mukluks and am perfectly happy with them. Comfy, warm, sufficiently hikable-portagable, and low volume enough at size 11 to fit under my low kneeling seats. Got them for about $40.

I’ve tried on the Chotas and seen them on many other paddlers. I really don’t see much of difference at all, other than that the Chota’s are little taller.

I personally wouldn’t want strings or laces on river paddling footwear.

boots?
Thanks for all the positive feedback on both mfg`s,seems equal,equal on favorites,so I ordered both ,and will have to decide on quality/style/durability,least both boots are a positive addition to coldweather/water paddling gear.

Chota’s
I’ve used chota quicklace’s for 6 years or so, and they’ve been a perfect bit of gear (not too many things I can say that about). They are warm, waterproof and just really cozy on a cold day. With size 13’s, there is an issue of fitting your feet into the boat with many kayak models. With my Explorer and Meridian, they fit tight, but OK.

I’ve never had them stink, but I’m careful to dry them out after each use. Investing in a boot drier was a really good move. Mine has four pipes - two for the boots and two for the gloves. Got mine from Sportsman’s Guide.

Alan

North River Kayaks

Campmor?
I have Chota’s (the base model without laces or a strap across the foot). Love em except wish they had that strap across the foot (only sell whole sizes and I am a half size). I think the NRS are thicker neoprene so I assume they are heavier.

A good friend has a pair he got from Campmor. Cheaper than the other two, have the strap across the foot like the NRS Boundary. Not sure of the weight/thickness but they look really good to me.

Bill Guiffre

Like Chotas (and a few other comments)

– Last Updated: Nov-28-11 12:47 AM EST –

I have both the neoprene and Goretex Chotas. The Goretex ones have seen a lot more use over several years than the neoprene ones because of the greater range of comfortable temperatures with that model. I've used the Goretex ones so much that the soles are badly worn, the original bungie cords broke long ago and were replaced with regular laces, the original rubber loops for the laces wore through three years ago and and were replaced by polyester loops that I sewed on myself, and one of the top "hook" eyelets broke, and I fixed it by drilling a tiny hole through the remaining stub to provide anchorage for a little loop of wire. I've also fixed one leak in the neoprene portion (top of the "foot" part) of one boot.

The all-neoprene models are the ones likely being compared to the Boundary Boot. The neoprene models are actually a little better than the Goretex models because there's one extra round of lacing and the lace loops are fabric rather than rubber (fabric is a lot tougher).

I specifically got the Chotas because the lace-up feature molds the lower part of the boot to my foot very neatly, while I don't think the fit would be so nice with NRS's single strap. I find that I can comfortably go for long side-trip hikes away from the river with no complaints because there's no "shifty fit" around the ankles (as far as those flexible soles go, I actually don't mind a "moccasin-type" feel for moderate hiking).

By the way, I see no reason for the laces to present a real snagging danger. If you are worried about that, replace the bungies with paracord and tie 'em up snug, with a square knot having no loops. Any stick skinny enough to sneak under the laces will be easy to break. On the snagging issue, remember that a Velcro strap looped back on itself and overlapping by a few inches would normally hold 100 pounds in tension, or even a lot more sometimes, making me think the NRS boot would hold you pretty firmly if you got snagged by the ankle strap. The original Chota bungies with their excess loops wouldn't worry me too much since the bungies would be fairly easy to break if you got stuck, but as mentioned, it's an easy modification to eliminate that risk. That's just my opinion, but you'll probably agree if you test the strength of that style of Velcro strap by looping your finger under it and yanking as hard as you can (don't try this on your boots - just use the same kind of strap with that same length-adjustment feature that loops back on itself after passing through a metal loop. If you test this on your boots the attachments will most likely rip loose before the Velcro slips).

If ankle-area fit were of no concern, and if the taller height were of no value, the cheaper boot might be what I'd use.

Chota qucik lace mukluks
I got the Chota’s after seeing a friend’s. She’s had Chota’s for years in Cold Cold Water. I’m a weather wimp and had given up trying to yak in winter after trying (buying) numerous shorter booties, neoprene socks etc. LOVE these. Friend has had same pair for years. Having come from Alaska and reading reviews from those using them up there - I was sold. I have talked to some who got them “to fit” which is too small for sitting for hours in a yak. I got a size larger than the “fit”. I can add wool socks, or not. Wiggle my toes around - since I’m sitting so many hours opted for the larger fit.