CLC Oxford Rowing Shell

Has anyone on this board built the Chesapeake Light Craft’s stitch and glue Oxford rowing shell? If so, was it easier or harder than building an S & G kayak? I’ve never done an S & G boat, and thought this might be a fun first one.

My opinion…
The shell itself looks easy. Simpler than a kayak. No holes to cut. Just piecing together and stitching.

Sliding seat and oar assembly would be tough to build. I think CLC recommends buying a pre-fab seat and oars.

Andy

I built an Eastport Pram
It came out fairly well for my first effort. (I see all the flaws, no-one else does or they are kind enough to say they don’t) The finishing of the lap-stitch construction is harder than on a yak because of all the nooks and crannies between the strakes and where the supports and seats join.There are a lot of inside corners to clean up. On a yak most everything that shows is an outside corner with the exception of the cockpit combing.

That confirms what I suspected
about lapstitch construction. It looks like that would take a lot of time.

Buying the sliding seat/oar assembly
looks like the way to go. Add that plus the $400 plus dollars for oars and it is a pretty expensive project. But still much cheaper than a fiberglass shell.

not really

– Last Updated: Feb-09-06 5:47 PM EST –

the problem is that it can be messy if you're learning at the same time. It does use a lot of gooping. I'd rather butt the panels on a strongback/frame with internal chine logs or reinforcing. Having edges of plywood exposed that can't be fiberglassed kind of makes the bottom panels exposed to water intrusion when they're bumped up against things.

kick up rudder?
did you install the kickup rudder or was this the original one ?

I built the rowing version
No rudder, just the fixed “skeg?” thing on the bottom.

I wondered about that
I built the pram for my dad. He uses it in some of the small coves on Campobello Island in New Brunswick where my folks live. The grandkids love it. Well, what I meant to say was that I told him to be sure to keep the Brightsides touched up on the bottom for the reason you mentioned above. When I prepped the hull before epoxy I did break the sharp edges a bit so that the epoxy would be a bit thicker there. I also put about four coats on the thing.