Cleaning Kayak and Applying 303

I recently purchased a 4 year old Kestrel 140 TCS, and while it looks pretty good want to clean it and restore the orginial shine as much as possible.

Doing a little research I see I should use water with mild car wash type soap and then apply 303.

How liberally do you apply the 303? I assumed you would give it a good coat, but when I was on the Current Designs website see they sell it in 2 oz bottles (I bought an 8 oz bottle). Can I do any harm by using too much?

This might sound like a silly question, but should I remove all the ropes on the deck before cleaning and applying 303? Obviously it would be easier to clean with them not attached, but am worried about removing screws and putting them back in. Worried I would over tighten them or possibly screw something up :)
Or would I do more harm to the ropes, and not clean the kayak as well, by leaving them attached?

Thanks for the help. This site is great for newbies like me.

Use a towel
Just dampen a paper towel and wipe.

Don’t worry about the deck lines.

Only risk is…
You make it too clean and slick and drop it.

Best to let it dry out a bit after treatment before you try sliding it onto… oops, past (shit) … the correct placement on any roof rack.

One more question

Should I use wax on a thermoformed (TCS) kayak? If it helps to fill in some of the scratches and makes it look better I am all for it. But wasn’t sure if could cause more damage than good, or would be a waste of time.

Thanks again!

Sure,
Wax or 303 works fine. When I had my Eddyline NH that’s what I used. Meguires liquid cleaner wax is good stuff and can also be used on fiberglass.

Waxing is waste of time/effort
Epic makes some the fastest kayaks in the world.

Waxing is basically wasting money and time.

http://www.epickayaks.com/news/news/to-wax-or-not-to-wax

Yes
You can use 303 on the seat. You can also use it on the hatch cover to shine it up. You can use 303 SPARINGLY on the rim under the cover to make it easier to get the cover on and off if it’s sticking. If you use too much it can actually make the cover come off too easily. 303 is great stuff.

Maybe skip putting the 303 on the inside
Also be careful with the 303 inside the cockpit. I made the mistake of wiping down the inside of my old poly boat and it was incredible slick and challenging getting in and out of it for a while.

It’s a waste of time if done to make a
boat faster. But I’m sure both yacht wax and 303 make a boat slower.

I use yacht wax under specific recommendation from the maker of my composite canoes. It’s on there because it has a strong UV inhibitor. Speed is not an issue.

303 application---- Don’t use more
than needed to lightly wet the surface of the boat, and then follow the instructions to rub the 303 in as the final step. Some 303 will be rubbed off in the process, but what is left will persist for a while. If you rub the 303 in properly, you won’t see a sheen of shedding chemical when you put the boat on the water.

After applying bands of 303, or Armorall, those bands have remained faintly visible for about three paddle outings. Does 303 persist after that? The 303 company does not say. It would be nice to know.

Thoughts
I like to clean my plastic boats with a pressure washer. Use a wide fan tip and don’t get so close that you fuzz the plastic. Plastic has little holes in the surface that collects dirt. Get it out before you treat it.

303 is great but I have learned that it washes off fast in the water. It does restor the plastic someone but if you keep your boat inside or in the shade you likely don’t need the 303 treatment.

Thoughts
I like to clean my plastic boats with a pressure washer. Use a wide fan tip and don’t get so close that you fuzz the plastic. Plastic has little holes in the surface that collects dirt. Get it out before you treat it.

303 is great but I have learned that it washes off fast in the water. It does restor the plastic someone but if you keep your boat inside or in the shade you likely don’t need the 303 treatment.

Speed?
No one was talking about speed. It’s a question of adding some protection. If you paddle a lot like I do, the elements can age a kayak and shorten it’s life span.

First of all…
If anyone is so critical to worry about drag caused by 303 or wax they need a new hobby. I doubt it can even be measured and unless you are olympic racing, who cares?

Top or Bottom ?
The TOP of my boat stays pretty darn clean and that

is the side I put 303 upon as a sunscreen.

The bottom of my boat - well its the bottom -

and generally doesn’t see the sun in the rack or water

Still a waste
303 can be used on PFD’s , tents, other stuff

Extremely versatile and has a proven track record

I simply don’t buy wax for the outdoor gear

Pressure washer? Maybe not
After virtually destroying my patio and cement sidewalk with a pressure washer, I would not turn it on an expensive thermoformed kayak. A plain hose is fine.

I wish there was a "proven track record"
for 303 or any similar product. I can verify that if you forget your sunscreen, you can put 303 on the back of your hands, and you won’t get blistered.

If you have or can point to any real data about the extent of UV protection, or more important, how long 303 protection lasts, many would be very grateful.

Right now, we’re making decisions only on their marketing. 3M’s premium wax also claims good UV protection, and based on boat slip on the bank, 3M lasts longer than 303. I doubt that there are many owners of high-end fiberglass speedboats who are using 303 on their hulls rather than fortified waxes.