Clear gelcoat to match Bell Black Gold

I need clear gelcoat to make repairs on a BG boat that has the clear gel (as the older ones had). Anybody know what Bell used or equivalent? The stuff they sent out in repair kits was super easy to use.

Not a lot of clear gelcoat that I can find in the relatively small amounts I need.

Any help appreciated.

Oak Orchard Canoes
sent me a small amount of clear gel coat for a similar project a couple of years ago. Tell 'em what you’re doing so you get the right stuff. Ph (585) 288-5550

Peter

Thanks
I’ll give them a call and see if they can help me out.

Bell used

– Last Updated: Aug-07-12 11:12 PM EST –

Bell Used CCP Clear with a significant amount of flex in it. Placid boatworks and Colden canoe use the same gel. MC-963-XA-220.
God may know what brand, mixture, etc, Oak Orchard has, but she ain't saying.

And now I know
exactly who to call.

Thank you once again, Mr. Wilson.

need?
I feel like I should know this, but I don’t. What would be the risks in just using, say, gflex for the repair of the clear coat? I recently had a chip in the clear coat and put some excess gflex epoxy from another project to fill in the chip. It looks OK but I did it mostly just for protection, figuring perhaps incorrectly that it couldn’t hurt. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the differences in the respective properties of the clear coat and gflex, for example the amount of flex, might cause the repair to fail. I am just starting to learn this stuff DIY and a clue here would be most appreciated. Thanks.

There you go!

– Last Updated: Aug-10-12 8:39 AM EST –

In a perfect world, we wouldn't mix PE, VE and Epoxy. after a couple days cross linkage is no longer an option, but at least using native resin matches flex characteristics. Worse, once Epoxy is introduced, later repairs with PE or VE are unlikely to bond.

On the other hand, if it's an old boat and you don't much care, try the epoxy. If the patch throws, try a compatible resin.

I got the clue
Thank you. Great to know for sure worst case scenario and why, and now I have a target to begin further research. Dave

This is timely info.
I just bounced my black gold Flashfire on concrete from about 40" (it fell off the rack while moving boats around)and have two gel repairs to make as well as reinforcing patches inside before I can paddle it again.

One of the repairs is below the waterline.

Bummer.