clearing deadfalls

NJ question
Brian, I found it interesting that the NJ DEP wants no more than “two canoe widths” taken from a strainer. Is this possible due to the slow-moving nature of NJ waterways? I would think that any portions of a strainer left in faster-moving water would be dangerous. Of course, I’m thinking WV waterways with much more gradient.

Jim

NJ DEP Clearing Rivers
Jim:

The NJ Fisheries has made it clear that the strainers provide fish habitat and must remain in the river. Therefore, we are resticted to the max cut being two boat widths.

What usually happens is when we cut the opening, the next high water event pushes the striner out of the way. But just in case, we jam the cut section under one side to prevent boat pinning.

The NJ DEP does not care about paddler safety.

Regards,

brian

Save the fish.
We paddlers don’t contribute to license fees!

Jim

Here in NC, it naturally is illegal
to dump old tires into lakes and rivers, but it is perfectly Ok for the DNR to do it since they put up a sign that says; “fish attractor”

Go figure !

Cheers,

JackL

Salmon River
We can’t touch them on the Salmon River it’s Wild and Scenic. They are habitat for protected fish also. It would be stupid to try cutting one in the Salmon anyway. It’s too fast. People tried that but it was too dangerous. Kid got killed a couple of years ago when a tree fell 3/4 the of way across the river and the raft he was in hit it. The fault was with the rafters who failed to scout along the road following the river. The tree stayed until someone cut it without permission I believe. There’s a liability issue if you jump into the water to cut a tree. Don’t forget that. Whatever you leave to float down river is partly your responsibility. Cutting a tree that gets hung up down river can be another problem.

I have a sit-on-top and have bailed off to go under a few trees in the past. That’s just when the trunk is spanning the river. I don’t mess with branches.

Try a different saw
like the stanley Sharp tooth. I found that it cut better than a bow saw, took up less space and the blade didn’t flex as bad. Its less than $15 to boot.