clearing deadfalls

I started paddling a local creek with my 9 yr old (crosswicks creek in NJ). We only made it upstream about 1/2 mile before hitting some serious dead falls. What is the best way to clear these? I have a chainsaw but have never cut under water or standing in a creek before. Any techniques I should know about to make it easier. Also the brush makes going around these roadblocks almost impossible.

multiple posts?
I posted this at least 4 other times and never saw it on the site. I did a search and found my posts but never saw them under advice. I’ve posted before and never had a problem.

My thoughts
I heat with wood, and cut my own, so I have used a chain saw all my life.

Just a couple of days ago I was using mine on the stream banks in front of my house to clear a storm downed hickory

I would never use it from a boat.

I would not use it in water that was over my thighs.

I would never use it if the bottom was muddy or slippery stones, or if I couldn’t see the bottom.

The best way to clear the dead falls is using a bow saw, and by hand clear all the branches that you can.

Try to use the chain saw from the banks or shore. Remember when you are in the water, you are not going to be able to move quickly out of the way after you saw through a large tree.

If you don’t know about undercutting and limbing techniques, don’t use a chain saw at all.

If you do use one, and get the bar pinched, don’t panic. Remove the bar nuts, and take the engine away, just leaving the bar. A $30 dollar bar is easier to replace than your whole chain saw.

Another way I remove too large to handle logs from our river is by using my old faithful 87 Chevy 4x4 pick-up with a cable and sling.

When you through there, how about coming and helping us clear the AT on Roan mountain of their dead falls for the up coming cross country skiing season.

Cheers,

JackL

cutting underwater
Cutting underwater bar oil doesn’t do the job to lubricate so water has to. Keep the chain loose to reduce friction.

Try…
a stick of dynamite. :slight_smile:

personally,

– Last Updated: Sep-29-04 8:24 AM EST –

use a hand saw to cut only as much as needed to sqeeze through. Even better would be to make clear a little brush to make a portage around the obstruction so that you can leave the deadfall in the creek alone.

The deadfall is a habitat and it would be nice to mitigatethe damage we do if at all possible. Heck it would be a great teaching moment for you son.

Andrew

Thanks
Thanks for all the great advice. I have used a chainsaw extensively, just never in a creek before. I also used to heat with wood. I Don’t think portaging is an option in some of these tight spots. I’ll buy a fresh bow saw blade and see if I can make a dent. I’ll bring my chainsaw along as a last resort.

Chainsaw thoughts
JackL pretty much summed up my feelings about chainsaws around water. I too do a lot of trail maintenance, and I can attest that clearing falls and snags is a challenge and an art ON DRY LAND. Add water, and the danger factor jumps considerably.

You would be surprised at the amount of clearing you might accomplish with a simple bowsaw. Much safer from a canoe, but carry a couple of small wedges (the chainsawyer’s secret weapon) as insurance.

JackL, where is Roane Mountain? I’m always up for a little good clearing.

Jim

Roan Mountain…
…is a 6000 foot one on the border of NC and Tenn. about half way between Boone and Ashville.

It is about a half an hour from Johnson City Tenn.

One of the most beautiful and rugged portions of the AT crosses pretty close to it’s summit.

The winter x-country skiing is the best kept secret in the south. Many times we have had a six foot snow pack for most of the winter.

Due to it’s height, the flora at the higher elevations is the exact same as what is found in Canada, and there are many rare plants that are only found there.

The largest natural Rhododendron Garden in the world is found close to the top, and usually in June, the purple color is spectacular.

The Fraser Fir Christmas tres which are the northern Fir Balsom’s cousins grow naturally there as well.

I could go on, but would probably get boring.

Cheers,

JackL

Roan Mountain
The description of the “rare flora” had me drooling…I’m going to add it to my places list to go hunt orchids…with a camera only, naturally!

Thanks. Val

an axe also
If the wood isn’t too old (and hard) … an axe can be decently quick enough … on 6-9 inchers

a good SHARP machete will do all the smaller stuff (even 3") real quick

I was going to chainsaw some … but thought better of it … (dangerwise) … it’d be waist high … and a big (13") trunk.

I have just recently though of a come-along with some cable … - anchor to another tree and pull it out of the way far enough to get by.

Its best to take them all at the same time … bowsaw … axe … machete … and LOTS of water to drink

I won’t comment on that other one.

la la la la la la laaaaaa

Add beer and guns
to your list and you will be set for some good ol’ redneck fun!

Jim

la la la la la la la laaaaaaa

Gray’s Lilly is
found quite often.

cheers,

JackL

Pinched bar
Driving a falling wedge into the cut usually ought to open things up enough to get the bar loose.

hand saws
I found that the sharptooth saw from stanley is great for this type of work. I got one with a short blade and it was better than anything else that I have tried.

River Clearing
I use chainsaws only as a last resort. I run a Livery on the Manasquan River in NJ and I cut at least one strainer each week. I use a bow saw, since it is extremely hard to cut your arm off with it.

I always bring 2 bow saws, ont to get pinched in the cut, the other to saw the first on out.

I only allow myself to use the chaisaws, and I use Stihl 191, a small tree top cutting saw. It is easy to start one handed, which is very important when standing in the water. It scare me every time I use it and I have been doing it for 10 years now. Bow saw is best.

The NJ DEP requires that the trees be left in the water after cutting, and that only the width of two canoes be taken from the strainer.

Regards,

Brian

mohawkcanoe@aol.com

Not on a twenty inch tree !
Been there tried that in my younger days.

Now undercut, undercut, undercut.

If I make it to one hundred, I just might learn it all.

Cheers,

JackL

Chainsaws
I’ve been a contractor working on trails and have cut a few thousand downed trees and even some in water. I’ve worked on forest fires as a sawyer also. Stand up stream for one thing no matter what you use. Pruning saws are better than bow saws for that kind of work. A folding pruning saw is great to always have along. Machettes are a waste of money. You might as well buy a D-axe. Those suck too but not like a machette. An ax might be the answer. The safest way might be to start with an ax and finish with a pruning saw.

I’ve cut 4’ trees off trails using a 41/2’ crosscut, all by myself. Now that is a challenge.

Downed Trees
I’ve been a contractor working on trails and have cut a few thousand downed trees and even some in water. I’ve worked on forest fires as a sawyer also. Stand up stream for one thing no matter what you use. Pruning saws are better than bow saws for that kind of work. A folding pruning saw is great to always have along. Machettes are a waste of money. You might as well buy a D-axe. Those suck too but not like a machette. An ax might be the answer. The safest way might be to start with an ax and finish with a pruning saw.

I’ve cut 4’ trees off trails using a 41/2’ crosscut, all by myself. Now that is a challenge.