Clipper 14'Prospector vs Bell Wildfire

i know the 14 propector is deeper/higher. but, can anyone compare the two in how they paddle? which has more intitial and/or secondary stability? how about tracking/turning to be used in slow to class I-II maybe easy III rapids? thanks!

I wouldn’t say that either boat is an
easy whitewater boat, and would not use either in “easy” class 3. You might also provide info on what load you will typically be carrying.

easy
generally day paddles. i’m 6’ and 190-200lbs. i probably would be doing 99% slow -II.

Wildfire & Clipper 14’ Prospector
I have paddled both boats and I liked each one a lot and considered buying it, but I never thought of them as “comparable”.

The Wildfire is much more responsive than the 14 ft. Prospector and quicker, but the Prospector is more seaworthy and has much more capacity.

If you want a 14 tripping canoe that you will paddle Canadian style from a kneeling position, in both lakes a moving water, the Prospector is the better choice. Equip it with air bags and you will have a pretty bomb-proof Solo boat for any conditions I would care to canoe in,.

If you want more of a “play boat” but something you can use for trips of moderate duration, and which will require less effort to get up to speed and stay there and is handier to carry, the Wildfire would be the one to get IMHO.

Ideal solution: Get both! What the heck, it’s only money, and you can always sell the one you use the least if push comes to shove!

Mal

Wildfire & Clipper 14’ Prospector
I have paddled both boats and I liked each one a lot and considered buying it, but I never thought of them as “comparable”.

The Wildfire is much more responsive than the 14 ft. Prospector and quicker, but the Prospector is more seaworthy and has much more capacity.

If you want a 14 tripping canoe that you will paddle Canadian style from a kneeling position, in both lakes a moving water, the Prospector is the better choice. Equip it with air bags and you will have a pretty bomb-proof Solo boat for any conditions I would care to canoe in,.

If you want more of a “play boat” but something you can use for trips of moderate duration, and which will require less effort to get up to speed and stay there and is handier to carry, the Wildfire would be the one to get IMHO.

Ideal solution: Get both! What the heck, it’s only money, and you can always sell the one you use the least if push comes to shove!

Mal

Clipper Packer
Consider the “Packer” I owned one years ago and it is a great boat, more suited for what you are describing. A Eugene Jensen design so it has that magic.

email
mal

check your email. thanks.