Coaming coming loose

I have an older Easy Rider Eskimo sea kayak. I was looking it over a few days ago and noticed the aft end of the coaming is loose. Like the glue (Resin??) has dis bonded.

It is a separate part that is attached to the hull by some process. I think I could wedge it apart a little and squeeze some glue (or???) in there to reattach it.

My questions are these, how common is this? what type of glue would I use?

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Thanks

Rocky

Rocky, Do exactly that…
Flip the boat over and put up on a couple ladders or something so you can work comfortably. Open the space and let it dry out for as long as you have time for. Even better is to have a fan blow across it. don’t forceit too much but if the gap is real big, you can jam some sand paper, a file or even a hacksaw blade in there to rough it up once dry. Tape all over the place including the outside under the coaming AND the coaming. Thicken epoxy and inject into the gap, even pry it open a little bit more to get the resin in. really work / push it in. If you wanted to you could start with neat resin then switch to thickend but generally you can get the slightly thicker than catsup batch in all the same places and it will not drain out. Pull wedges and fill these gaps as ness. Wipe excess and mess up while you watch the injected area to see if you need more. Just let it spring back, DO NOT CLAMP or pull / push it. Clean up any excess that comes out then pull all tape being careful not to set anything ajar. Let it harden and do not sit on coaming if you can help it.

No glass?
Onno, I’d be tempted to add some glass tape on the inside. Not needed? Bigger mess? I have never had a lot of confidence in edge-to-edge bonding.

~~Chip

surface contact
This is a “surface” rather than an “edge”…the contact area is about 1.5 inches wide…if that would change what you are thinking about.

It doesnt appear to have had any 'glass holding it from the factory. it is just a bonded joint now.

Obviously, if a gut was to lay a layer of glass in that area, it would help, but it would also need something just to bond the surfaces.

Thanx!