Coast Guard Waterproof Standard JIS4

Doese anyone one know what VHF radio JIS4 waterproof standard means? Is a radio that meets this standard submersible? Is this standard ok or should a radio have a higher standard? I have looked all over the net and can’t find what the definition of this standard means. Thanks for your replies.

JIS4
Splash resistant.

JIS7 is immersion resistant, 8 is submersible.

JIS4
If JIS4 is for immersion than it should be submersible too. The dictionary says immerson means “capable of being totally submerged in water without damage”.

The radios specs say JIS4 Waterproof Level.

"Splash resistant"
JIS4 standard means that it can be splashed from any direction onto the unit without harmful effect. Your unit is not rated to withstand immersion at all.

“Submersible,” (JIS8) as the JIS standards define it, means capable of continuous underwater operation. “Immersion resistant” (JIS7) means that it can withstand being dunked under water, but only for so long.

Let me answer each question
"Doese anyone one know what VHF radio JIS4 waterproof standard means?"

It means your radio is “splash resistant.”

“Is a radio that meets this standard submersible?”

No. Well, you can submerse your radio, but it probably won’t work afterwards. JIS8 is submersible.

“Is this standard ok or should a radio have a higher standard?”

Okay for what use? For kayaking, a JIS7 rated radio would probably be better.

Here, the JIS water resistance scale:

JIS “0” No special protection

JIS “1” Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 1)

JIS “2” Dripping water at an angle up to 15 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 2)

JIS “3” Falling rain at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Rain resistant)

JIS “4” Splashing water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Splash resistant)

JIS “5” Direct jetting water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Jet resistant)

JIS “6” Direct jetting water from any direction shall not enter the enclosure (Water tight)

JIS “7” Water shall not enter the enclosure when it is immersed in water under defined conditions (Immersion resistant)

JIS “8” The equipment is usable for continuous submersion in water under specified pressure (Submersible)

Thanks
Thanks for the breakdown on all the stantards. It helps to know what the ratings mean. I bought an Atlantis 250 (uniden) and all the info that came with it says it’s waterproof. Not once does it say anything about it being only splash proof. I think these kinds of statements are HIGHLY misleading.

Thanks

Uniden was planning …
… to fully inform you of the distinction when you made your first warranty claim.

Always smart to read the fine print–and even beyond that–before buying.

They are also inaccurate.
Everybody that I know who kayaks on the ocean has come to the conclusion that the best protection is to use a radio of JIS7 and still use it in a drybag such as a Drypak or Aquapack.

If the manufacturer will fix your failed radio under warranty, it will still do you no good if you haven’t been able to reach help when you really need it.

All of my friends and I have had different brands and models of submersible JIS7 radios fail when they weren’t bagged.

The problem is…
…that bag hamper functionality. Specifically:

• They reduce volume, which can be critical with wind and breaking waves creating lots of background noise.

• They make the radio difficult to mount. I keep my radio mounted to a shoulder stap so I can hear it well and operate it with one hand. A bag necessitates carrying the radio in a pocket, where it’s much more difficult to hear and access, especially in rough conditions.

• They make the controls more difficult to operate. This varies depending on the specific radio and bag, with some combinations being tolerable and others nearly impossible to deal with.

That’s why I won’t use a bag.

I’ve had several failures with a Standard Horizon HX460 and know of dozens more, but that’s the only submersible radio I’ve seen with significant failure issues. I’ve used an Icom M1V and M88 without bags and have had zero problems. On balance, I feel safer with a shoulder mounted radio without a bag, than a pocket carried radio in a bag. I just make it a point to rinse and test my radio after every trip, then test it again before going out on the water.

I do recommend keeping your radio in some kind of bag when you’re NOT using it. I’ve had a few instances of various radios turning on from being jostled around in my gear bag and running the battery down. Keeping the radio in a small bag eliminates that problem.