Cobra ReVision - Maiden Voyage and Review

So, I had been looking for this boat for a long time. Had I found a pre-owned one 6 or 7 years ago, I would not have gone back into long boating. Because I couldn’t find one, I ended up first with a P&H Delphin 150, then a carbon/kevlar Sterling Progression and then a Dagger Stratos for long boat surfing that can handle reaching farther out beach or reef breaks, as well as for rock gardening.

Well, I am glad that I didn’t find a ReVision sooner. As much as I enjoy it as an ultra XL longboard type surf ride, it performs differently from play-oriented sea kayaks (which I enjoy as well for their different type of surfing abilities). The Revision is fast but not as fast as a longboat. Its planing hull and sharp rails/chines and center fin allow it to cut better across the side of the waveface. And, with the ReVision, you have know when you have caught on to the wave and then quickly get into a diagonal run fast. If not, the shallow rocker of the low-volume flat nose has a tendency to pearl and dig into trough (like a shovel). At that point, the rider has to employ combination of edging, bracing and corrective strokes to recover and hopefully regain the wave.

For sure, the ReVision does better with long loopy cutbacks. But, because of the shallow nose rocker, the rider has to be mindful of the trim - leaning forward to effect more speed and leaning back when the nose looks likely to pearl at the base of the wave.

Also, the ReVision’s length creates more surface for a wave to work on after a flip. Twice I was pulled out of the thigh straps before even I had a chance to try to roll. This has never happened to me riding the shorter Perception Five O which is also outfitted with thigh straps. I need to figure out a fix for this, or I will be swimmig a lot more than I care or want, especially with remote point or reef breaks.

Finally, from my first paddle with the ReVision, I felt it was just too “tracky” for a surf ride. I am glad I went ahead and ordered a shorter 3" fin to replace the standard 5" inch fin that comes with the ReVision. The 3" fin provided just the right amount of tracking while not compromising the manueverability of the ReVision on the wave.

I need more surf (hopefully bigger than today) to get more time and knowledge of the ReVision. I enjoy the ReVision, but am also glad that I was pushed to find and learn surfing with the play tour kayaks. So, it is fortuitous that I found this boat later than I had initially wanted.

Mahalo!

sing

5 Likes

That a lot of work, Sing!

1 Like

So true!!! Sometimes I question my own sanity for expending so much time, effort and money to go play like a child in the waves… :woozy_face:

sing

5 Likes

It’s what we do. You just play harder than others. I’m happy just finding the perfect stroke.

2 Likes

Had a two hour session surfing through pea soup early this AM.

Once I paddled out, the only indication of direction was watching from where the waves emerged from (ocean ward) and where these were headed (shore ward). Would hate to have paddled far from shore in that fog. Very disorienting. Otherwise, had a lot of FUN!!! The waves were only 2-2.5’ but very clean because there was not even a hint of a breeze.

I moved the seat pad in the ReVision all the way back and attached a cam buckle retaining strap on the thigh straps. The farther back seat position helped mitigate the tendency of the nose pearling into the wave trough. The retaining strap ensured that the thigh straps didn’t pop off my thigh in the rough stuff and/or in a capsize, allowing better control and rolling.

Before photo:

After photo:

The mods made a huge difference and brought the ReVision closer to my expectation for it – which is to have a longer surf craft that can maximize the smaller wave days. With my waveskis, it would have been hard to get longer rides because i would have to be where the waves get critical, closer to shore. In contrast, the ReVision allowed me to get on a wave farther out, when the wave is just starting to stack and pitch up. A play-oriented seakayak would do the same but cannot match the carve and long cutback ability of the ReVision. Also, I like the simplicity of just going out with a surf craft and paddle. No messing with skirt, pump, paddle float etc. This is especially true for summer sessions.

Mahalo!

sing

3 Likes

Name of songs and artist please.

In respective order:

• As The Sun Shines - Justin Lee
  • To Be A Kid Again - Stuart deRouen

sing

1 Like

Another “pea soup” morning. I am waffling on whether to go after the 2’ plus waves registering on the buoy. I made more outfitting mods to the revision to tighten up the seating area to add more contact for bracing and rolling. Want to test but am not feeling the urgency this morning, probably because I already feel good about the results of the previous modifications…

Cowabunga! Maybe…

sing

Is that smoke of fog?

Waited 2 hours and the fog burnt off a bit. Got to surf a bit with the “grom” surf camp.

Glad I went. More nodifications needed to my outfitting. The ReVision is a heck lot of fun to surf on these small waves. But, got pulled out of the thigh straps twice. Hate swimming in surf when rolling can avoid that.

Mahalo!

sing

1 Like

2nd surf session with the ReVision, in a light fog. (FYI - I was wearing a surf cap helmet. Has a light plastic and foam shell underneath. Not full protection like my composite full coverage helmet, but less hot choice for small days and warmer weather.)

Mahalo!

sing

So, with some more tweaks to the outfitting, I am digging the Cobra ReVision more and more. We had the type summer conditions that I was hoping to capitalize on with the ReVision - upper 70s air temp at 7 AM, with sunny skies, and clean 2’ plus swells in the 10 second range rolling in. The ReVision has the speed to catch the smaller waves earlier on and to squeeze some extra seconds into the surf ride. Just fun, mellow stuff for a summer session!

Mahalo!

sing

2 Likes