Cockpit Outfitting. Glue?

What is the best glue to use when attaching minicell foam inside a fiberglass boat? In what I’ve been able to find about this, there is no mention of a specific glue to use.

I am getting settled into the cockpit of my new boat. I tucked some foam behind the hip pads in the seat, and adjusted the back band tighter to provide more support. The result is I’m just little more forward in the boat … maybe an inch. My thighs had been right up against the cockpit, but with the back band adjustment it was too tight, so I had to push the foot pads down one notch. The result is my thighs are not in contact. A 1\2 inch foam pad on each side will fix that so that a slight lift of either leg will put me in contact.

Any other suggestions? This is my first time trying to get a more custom fit. The boat is a Nordkapp LV.

Contact cement
Waterproof contact cement seems to be the adhesive most often mentioned here.

hiya
is that what pool noodles are amde of?im trying to do the same thing if there are the same

glue
I am by no means an expert, but I used 3M Super 77 spray glue to add 1/2" minicell foam exactly where you mention needing it, and it has held up well for the week that it has been there.

I hope that the more knowledgeable paddlers here will confirm that my choice of adhesive was an acceptable one.

Weldwood
Weldwood contact cement. The one in the red can.

No, pool noodles are not made of minicell foam.

Spray adhesive works
I’ve used the 3M spray several times, and it’s held up fine. I even used it to glue foam to the underside of a skin boat deck - when I decided to remove the foam, it was a major pain in the neck to remove. I hate contact cement.

Yes
There is more than one that will work. What I use is Barge Cement, available at hardware stores. Works best if you apply a thin smear on both surfaces and let them tack up a minute or two before pressing together.

Don’t glob it on, or else it’ll just ooze out when you assemble the pieces. Not only does the ooze create a sticky mess, your skin might get a rash when in contact with it. Mine does, as I found out 8 yrs ago. The rash was extremely itchy and swollen and lasted literally weeks.

It pays to be precise.

Weldwood contact cement or
Goop.

Recently I have been leaning more toward the Goop. It holds better than the weldwood.

jack L

Pool noodles are ethafoam…
…which is a cheaper, larger-celled cousin to Minicel foam. It’s not very durable, it’s hard to carve to shape and it doesn’t glue as well.

Second that
All pads that fell off using regular Dap and other brands contact cement commonly sold in hardware stores I have re-glued with Amazing Goop Marine Goop. This can work either as a contact cement or a regular adhesive in most cases (I use it to attach temporary skegs a lot, it is thick and does not run or pool like contact cement). So far - better results than the red-brownish contact cements I’ve used for the same applications. Though contact cement works fine too and is not bad at all, just a little weaker. Either one should be OK for foam.

Goop on Poly
Is goop safe to use on poly boats?

Gorilla Glue. Have used it for four
years now and it works great with minicell. Just trim the excess with a knife after it hardens. It really works itself around and holds up great. Bill

Thanks for the info!
There’s a West Marine store not to far away that should sell Marine Goop. I think I’ll start with that one.

If I can find some time mid week I’ll glue in the pads, and be ready for the weekend to try out the new fit.

It is pretty hard to find the Marine
goop now, but I have found that the Goop Plumbing is just as good and have been using it for the past several years

jack L

Yes
ABS, PVC, brass, Aluminum, and ceramic

jack L

Lowes had it …
… Goop plumbing.

All the Goop
Glues are the same, the only difference is the price. Have that from a good source.

Contact cement
Get the flammable type not the water-based version. Wallmart or hardware stores carry it. Coat both surfaces. Let it dry, Then coat them again. When that 2nd coat is quite sticky, press them together. Don’t screw up and get them miss-aligned because once it’s pressed together, it will not come apart - ever.

If you’re gluing to fiberglass, first wash the glass surface with some alcohol and a abrasive sponge to remove any mold release that could be there. Not a bad idea to hit it with a little sandpaper too.