cockpit size-functionality-sea kayaks

my paddling ‘history’ confirms many of the comments above, adds one or 2 new ones.

My 1st ‘seakayak’ was a large cockpit Aquaterra Chinook.

• a bit difficult to roll.

2nd was a Valley Nordkapp (prior to large cockpit Valleys).

• seaworthy, ‘connected’ to boat, much easier to roll.
  • However, on very long paddles, I needed to bend my knees - not possible in an OC boat.
    I started carrying a paddle float, and (while at sea) would occasionally create an ‘outrigger’ with it and the paddle, so I could ‘climb out’ and sit on the combing, pull the legs out to stretch.

about this time, I picked up a 2nd hand Prijon T-Slalom ww boat. (did some ‘light’ whitewater paddling in WI and MN). I think it was Prijon that came out with the 1st ‘keyhole’ design. An ‘excellent’ keyhole - could really get ‘locked’ into the boat.

3rd seakayak was a Valley Nordkapp with large cockpit (when they came out).
AWFUL. Difficult to roll (large cockpit). They came out with a little ‘flange’ that could be installed soon after - didn’t help much.

I took a long trip overseas in a Caffyn designed ‘Arctic Raider’ (OC). Very seaworthy, full contact with boat, but banged up the shins on many a surf landing.

After returning to states, went to a ‘Bean’ symposium in Maine ('93). Nigel Dennis was showing his newly designed ‘Romany’. I discovered the ‘seaworthness’ (rolling, handing heavy seas, etc.) at a later point, but what hit me first was the ‘real’ keyhole design (not just a little ‘flange’ that most of the other folks were putting in their boats).
Paddled the Romany and Explorer for many years and in some nasty stuff - never ‘pulled’ out of boat, and could stay at sea all day.

Nowadays, I mostly paddle lightweight boats (eg: Sterling’s) (Brit’s typically build them extremely sea-worthy - but also very heavy)
If I won’t be at sea for more than a few hours, I like to paddle the Tahe Greenland (OC). (again - my knees need to bend after a few hours)

Having Paddled both and a decent number of boats over the years. There is nothing like a snug fitting ocean cockpit in terms of control. I can recall times in surf, playing around, or in really bumpy water where a leg poped out of the thigh brace on my old romany and slipped out the keyhole! With many boats you have to splay your thighs apart to keep purchase with the boat which to me is not the most comfy. With an Ocean once padded up i have purchase everywhere, and no way a leg is thigh is poping out. I went from a Romany to a Valley Anas Acuta with an Ocean Cockpit a bunch of years ago, 15 i believe. That said, there needs to be a certain skill level to appreciate this setup. If one does not have a solid roll, or is not comfortable with the “slide out” needed for a wet exit on these cockpits, i can see where they may not seem right. For casual lake or slow river cruising, its probably over kill, but for true sea kayaking i love it!

K

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way! :wink: Of the 10 boats I’ve bought or built, none have had actual keyholes and only one had a cockpit that was close in size to a typical keyhole.

I suspect a historical element is involved in all this. The original seal hunting kayakers were sewn into their kayak. Swimming in artic waters was not an option the cockpit was a small round opening. You didn’t want to come out of your kayak into the water. Ever wondered about all the different Eskimo rolling techniques. This type of kayak was copied by the British when modern European kayaking came into existence. The detachable skirt came into existence and over time the cockpits became larger. Seakayaks were the first kayaks in modern time. Other kayaks came into existence later, and had different requirements. I suspect warmer water lead to in water recovery techniques, and larger cockpits.