Cold Water Boot Camp - Safety info

Not sure if any of you have seen this or not, but this is really good info to review every year:

http://www.nasbla.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Please watch the video, and be safe out there as your local water de-ices and you start getting that paddling bug again!

Cold Water Boot Camp DVD
The info presented in this DVD makes a very strong and graphic case for always wearing a life vest when on the water.

There are three versions of this DVD giving similar info. There is a version focusing more on power boating, done by Alaska State Officials. Then there is a Canadian version of CWBC for paddlers and a American version of CWBC for paddlers. They are both excellent and nearly identical. Different faces following same script.

Dr Giesbrecht, the expert behind all three versions, has moved on to a position as President of a small Canadian college. We are all in his debt for this work from his former professional life.

Dave

timely

– Last Updated: Feb-16-09 7:42 PM EST –

One of the kayak clubs for SF Bay has been talking about this, as one of a pair of local canoeist died recently from a capsize into 54F water.
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_11712078?source=email

Happens here every spring
when the air is 80 F in March for a day or two, and the water is just above freezing. Better known as “silly season”. We generally have 1 or 2 fishermen in canoes die every year in our tiny little state.

Cold water is nothing to mess around with.

Thanks!
My YMCA kayak class starts tomorrow; this will be great to show!

last week
the air turned a balmy 60 while the water was still in the low 40’s, as usual someone was rescued from a kayak capsize and flown to the hospital. I think they survived.

Glad you’re able to spread the word!
I got this link from my outrigger club - here in Southern CA the water temp is still cold enough to leave paddlers in a heap of trouble.

Our one-man outrigger and surfski paddlers are notorious for going out in boardshorts and a rash guard no matter what time of year it is, as they figure if they huli they can just climb right back on. Doesn’t work so well if you get separated from your boat, however.

Our team was out in the OC-6’s and I watched one of my coaches get dumped off his ski last Spring. All the other small boats and OC-6’s were heading in, I looked back (which normally gets you yelled at by the steersman) and saw him struggling to get back on. Three or four attempts, and maybe 2 minutes in the water and he was having trouble getting hands, arms and legs to cooperate. My crew doubled back and he had to hang on to our ama to reboard.

That was a 65 degree day with 58 degree water. It doesn’t take much.