Cold water in central New Jersey

Doesn’t matter if your in the surf or not if your swimming I think neoprene gaskets will not do as well.

If you do happen to go over 5’ is enough to drown. Better than ten but no guarantee by far if you GASP. JMHO

What failed on your drysuit? What failed on a one piece suit that won’t on a two piece suit?

I have a friend who is a very experienced whitewater paddler who took a swim through a sizable hole. Unbeknownst to him, his Latex neck gasket blew out and while getting recirculated his suit took on a lot of water.

He was able to swim into a midstream eddy behind a rock, but when he attempted to climb up on the rock to get out of the water he couldn’t figure out why he was unable to do so. It was because of all of the weight of the water contained in his dry suit.

When this type of thing happens and no immediate help is available, the only option might be to remove the suit while still in the water, which would also entail removing the PFD, not an attractive option.

Good point. When I get hung up on a submerged tree when paddling in winter (happened twice last time out) I definitely take more time and use less force to free myself than in summer. The one time I went in during the winter (over 20 years ago) I kept my head dry and just stood up and walked out. My problem happened during a traffic jam on a group paddle where no one scouted the route; it was a good lesson and now I’m much more leery about paddling in groups. I love the semi-dry for my use.

A seam failed as in tore open. I didn’t really mention anything about 1 or 2 piece. I think you might have misinterpreted something I posted as not liking dry suits. I have no issues with dry suits. I just don’t want to be in open cold water with or without surf in any attire.

You mentioned drysuit, to me that is one piece or two piece that seals like a kokatat. Both with latex gaskets.

I’m still confused here. You asked what would fail on a one piece dry suit that wouldn’t fail on a two piece. A seam could fail on either.

I see no disadvantage to a drysuit. I do see disadvantages in semi dry suits and neoprene gaskets. Inspection and maintenance is part of all safety gear. Anyway good luck.

I honestly don’t see a disadvantage to the neoprene neck on the semi dry that I have as it pertains to how I use it. I’ve been under water with it. A few drops of water will seep in after saturating the neoprene. not enough to cause a concern. If I had to spend hours in the water I would probably go with a dry suit.
I’m not trying to argue with you but if you are going to say that the semi dry has disadvantages as it pertains to my use then I would like to know what they would be.

Leaks in neoprene gaskets if your swimming. Your happy I’m happy :relaxed:

What part of the canal do you frequent?

Just behind Rutgers Prep off Easton avenue. Would be nice to see some others there.

I know quite a few whitewater boaters who wear semi dry suits and tops preferentially and are quite happy with them. Some people are allergic to Latex and others simply can’t tolerate having a very tight Latex gasket around their neck. I have used both long and short sleeve semi dry tops with neoprene seals either with separate dry pants or with a spray skirt in a sit in kayak. The short sleeve tops have neoprene “biceps” gaskets. The long sleeve tops have latex wrist gaskets.

Yes a little water will leak in around the neoprene neck gasket but it is not all that much and is of no consequence if reasonable insulating clothing is worn beneath the suit or top as it is quickly warmed by the body. A lot more water leaks into a wet suit and plenty of folks use those.

1 Like

I have Two Pongo’s. If you flip them they will scoop water and flood. You will not be able to get enough water out to get back in the boat if your alone. My son rolled once and the cockpit was completely filled. The boat floated mostly level while filled but would go under if he tried to get in. We had to pull and roll it on to another boat to get enough water out. Pungos are great boats but be careful in cold water. If your alone don’t plan on getting back in the boat in the middle of a lake if you flip it.

2 Likes

Do you use a large flotation bag? It displaces lots of water. I did capsize it once just playing around and was able to get back in. Of course every situation can be different and I wouldn’t take your account lightly.That said In the cold water and the place I paddle in the cold I would just abandon the Pungo for the shore in the unlikely event of a capsize. My other kayak would be easier to self rescue in. However the cockpit is more confined and I’m not sure how a wet exit would go in the cold. Until I have a chance to practice that in cold water I’ll stick with the Pungo for my situation.

I have to think the canal is now a skating rink rather than a paddle destination but during liquid times a number of the JSSKA folks use that especially if high winds are keeping them off open water.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

There was no ice as of a week ago. As for the winds I’ve been on there when the winds were better then 20 kts and you hardly see a ripple.

No ice in my canal but it’s 300’ wide and 25-30 feet deep. Few smaller canals here on Long Island have like a this slush.

Do you have a gasp reflex when wearing a dry suit? I don’t. Even with no hood. Ice cream head ache for sure.With no suit I sure do have the gasp reflex. . Sounds to me your pretty safe. Have extra cloths in dry bag. If you do flip over try and drag you pungo to shore line. Have fun .

1 Like

A Pungo with a flotation bag in the bow should float just fine after a capsize although there will be a lot of water in it. And if you do flip, getting yourself out will be easy with that huge cockpit.

It’s a somewhat different proposition with a snug sea kayak cockpit fitted with a spray skirt but even then, after doing it a few times in the presence of an instructor, it’s really no big deal.

Ah, Easton Ave! I used to live off Easton Ave and many of my friends’ kids went to Rutgers Prep. As well as paddling that canal I’ve ridden my mountain bike on that tow path many times.