Cold water in central New Jersey

If you can’t wet exit a kayak you shouldn’t be out there. JMHO

1 Like

It would be hard to stay inside a Pungo upside down without making a concerted effort.

2 Likes

The dry suit that failed was brand new. Inspection wasn’t the issue. This was 30 years ago.

Kinda never said that I couldn’t wet exit.

I agree 100 percent. Which is why I think it’s a better option in the winter for the padding I do.

It’s a neat place. Someday I ride that trail to Princeton. If I’m short on time I take the train home.

A good friend lives on Coppermine Rd in Griggstown. I used to ride to his house on the tow path and come back on Canal Rd and Blackwells Mills Rd.

Have you tried Farrington or Carnegie Lakes? They’re nice places to paddle.

Carnegie is nice. I sometimes take my sailing dinghy there. The spot on Easton is just the shortest drive for me.

I used to keep a sailboat on Spruce Run, another great place.

And I do know what you mean. After selling our house in Somerset in 2018 we now live a 2 minute drive in one direction to the Colleton River and 5 minutes in the other to the May River, both South Carolina Lowcountry salt water estuaries with tons of wild life like herons, egrets and dolphins. We paddle a lot more because of the convenience.

Brand? So your experience that puts you off a drysuit should put you off a semidry suit also no? They all have seams to fail.

Tells me you not prepared to wet exit. That’s just my opinion carry on.

Well you might have interpreted it to mean one thing but it doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t now how to wet exit. It means I haven’t done it in extremely cold water. So in the interest of safety until I have a chance to practice in cold water with someone else around I will stick with the Pungo.

I also never said I was put off by drysuits. I had a very bad experience in open water with one. I mentioned it was brand new so it’s clear it wasn’t by any neglect or lack of inspection on my part. I don’t wish to repeat that episode so I’ll avoid open water especially when it’s cold. So it’s cold open water I’m put off to not drysuits. If a seam failed in the places that I kayak hyperthermia would not be an issue. My situation had nothing to do with cold shock. It had to do with having a seam fail and then trying to wait out being rescued well into the night. Had it been in any of the places that I kayak I would have been on dry land in a matter of minutes.

I occasionally will go other places but the truth is I have other hobbies that keep me busy. Kayaking is more for exercise to compliment biking for me so the convenience of the canal works out great. I do see a Heron now and then and once in awhile a beaver. I’ll admit I am a bit jealous of you getting to see dolphins. I think it would make the news if I saw one in the canal.
I bring the sailing Dinghy out to Spruce Run. My son and I probably spent half of the summer there in the campground. It’s a great place.

These threads often go on wild tangents. So in the interest of answering your questions…

A semi-dry suit will likely keep you safe even in rougher conditions. I paddle year-round, in conditions and have full-dry and semi-dry suits. With all this debate about suits, truth is you’re more likely to suffer a massive leak by forgetting to zip after urinating. Seen that several times. The neo neck is not your big risk. Going solo is, if you otherwise follow all safety protocols, IMHO.
I admire your interest in practicing/preparing for the worst, as we should. We’re all “between swims” and should prep for it. I think it’s sensible to seek others to practice with. Luckily I belong to a club with qualified, year-round members. Can’t beat it! I highly recommend you try to find a club to practice with. I personally would not practice skills in cold water without having assistance at hand.
As far as cold shock…everyone is different, on different days, in diff conditions, in diff protective clothing. I’ve done cold water rolls easily on some days, and had anxiety and near gasp on other days.
It often helps to splash water on face or dunk my head first to “warm up?”. You could always just take a swim at the shore to feel the sensation of sudden cold water. But I would still want assistance at hand. It’s also a good way to test the suit. We often do that when the dry suit comes out of storage in fall.
Also, it’s a bad plan to accept/expect to just abandon the boat. Consider that if the boat is found empty it could trigger a costly search for the occupant. You would certainly want to notify authorities right away, but that’s no excuse. Remember that any paddle craft incident or mishap is bad for all of us.
Have fun, be safe.

In addition to the good advice, be sure you have a sticker inside your cockpit stating your name and contact info:

Thanks for the good advice Troy and Rookie. If I ever was to leave a kayak floating I’ll be sure to report it. I’m not sure I would have ever thought of that.

1 Like

Some USCG Auxiliary locations will mail out up to two stickers for free. That’s the case in Annapolis, MD.

Depends on the location. They can be hard to find and may be restricted to local boaters.