Cold Weather Gear

yup, surf wetsuits are flexible
I got an Excel full 3/4mm surfer wetsuit and it is supercomfortable in the shoulders, arms and around the waist, not had any chafing problems while paddling at all. Unless you are really squeamish about used stuff, there are terrific deals on wetsuits to be found on Ebay. Got the Excel for only $30, looked like it had been barely used. Just be sure and check the size charts on the original manufacturer websites – some common brands like Body Glove and Camaro run extremely small. I can also highly recommend American Wave’s wetsuits (made in USA) for flexibility and comfort (have a shorty from them) and I think all theirs are on sale right now.

Anti-chaff

– Last Updated: Aug-18-11 4:13 PM EST –

Neoprene-safe products like BodyGlide or SportsSlick
came on the market for a good reason.
I know I'm not the only one who had issues with neoprene

http://www.trisports.com/bod13oz.html

The key is flexibility
Not all wetsuits are flexible enough for paddling. Chafing comes from the neoprene sliding around because they are too stiff. Good brands of surfing wetsuits are super flexible and don’t force movement.

Surfing wetsuits and chafing

– Last Updated: Aug-18-11 7:18 PM EST –

Surf-oriented wetsuits come in a big variety of neoprenes, and the better ones are way stretchier than typical kayaking-oriented neoprene.

That said, I have gotten some chafing under the armpits from the "fleece" lining of a 3mm full wetsuit that otherwise is wonderful. The chafing does not result from the neoprene itself, but from reinforcements to seams and other little raised areas.

Applying BodyGlide (comes in a rub-on stick like antiperspirant) took care of the chafing. It also makes removing the damp wetsuit easier.

The suit has zip ankles and wrists, which I love. They make putting the suit on/off easier, and they allow a bit of extra cooling.

This suit is my next-warmest gear after the drysuit. If it's too warm for the 3mm full wetsuit, I wear a thin neoprene (surfer's) long-sleeve top and long-legged surfing Farmer Jane with a short chest zip (nice). A bit warmer water, and then it's the shorty 2mm wetsuit.

The OP would do well to actually go for a swim in the water to get an idea of personal tolerance for cold water.

I have one also
wetsuit top. Never had any problems with chafing.

how cold is cold?
Sub-65? Obviously skills come into play but trying to nail down that temperature.

Hydroskin–– Breathable? Chafe-y?
I don’t expect Hydroskin to be any kind of replacement for a wetsuit or drysuit, but it’s been mentioned a few times as a base layer and/or as an main/outer layer for when the water’s not cold.

I just have no experience with the stuff… it’s just very thin (0.5mm) neoprene, right? Would something like that be at all breathable? Would it chafe?

Just curious. One more weapon in the arsenal… right now, to date, my base layer has been merino wool.

My take
I actually like a Hydroskin shorty for warm/hot days with cool water. I will probably wear it a little more next year now that my roll is good and I don’t expect any long swims. But, I have intentionally swam rapids with it in 55 to 60 degree water and found it to be good enough for 5 to 10 minutes in the water. That’s also 80 to 90 degree days, so warming up was not a challenge after the swim.

merino wool is fine under a drysuit

But what about under a wetsuit?

Nothing underneath
except a swim suit for a full wet suit. Colder water? Get a thicker suit or a suit with a hood. You only need something underneath if you are using a farmer john/jane.

3mm Farmer John was what I was thinking
… so for said 3mm FJ, I assume a rashguard of short-sleeved Hydroskin or merino wool is fine for most conditions?

Geography

– Last Updated: Aug-19-11 9:39 AM EST –

Most conditions is highly geography specific.

Michigan has waters deemed "artic" by the Coast Guard
for most of the year and it catches many offguard.
While air temps hit 70-80 water is often at 50 - 60.
Spring and fall create problems for new boat owners.

Check out USA Coast Guard ditching powerpoint:
--- for all the states including coastline
http://bit.ly/WaterH2O

My area…
… is water temps of 50-65 degrees, and air temps of 55-75 degrees (usually).

So, cool air and cold water, but not quite arctic.

Underneath
Think thin and form fitting for whatever you wear under your wetsuit. I ear a long speedo swimsuit that is snug and a poly shirt or sometimes a long sleeve hydroskin shirt. Adding bulk underneath is not ideal.

You layer up on the outside, if you want some fleece, merino wool, or whatever. And on a cold, breezy day, you want a windproof shell to prevent the evaporative cooling effect.

And IMO, the scuba wetsuits are not appropriate for paddling. Most of your swims should be short, 5 to 10 minute events if you have the right self rescue skills. If there is a situation where you might expect to be in the water more than 30 minutes, you probably shouldn’t be going out that day. Work on your self rescue stuff or paddle closer to the shore…

I just can’t think of a situation where I would potentially submerged for 30 minutes to an hour where a scuba suit would make that much of a difference.

Granted, I have learned to self rescue in my boats in deep, cool water and rough conditions, so I actually know how long it takes.

Thanks to all who responded…
The info is great, and much appreciated. =]