Cold Weather Mittens

NRS Toaster vs Kokatat Inferno. Are the Kokatat worth the extra $30?

So anyway, I got the NRS mittens with my REI dividend, and they’re working great.

That is my favorite and what I have been using for 20 plus years. I have tried Level 6 and surf mitts. The level 6 blew out on me in less than a season’s usage (2 times). An the various surf mitts are two thick for gripping a paddle without straining and eventually cramping.

What I don’t like about the newer version of the NRS Toaster Mitt is that sewed on a divider between the index finger and the rest of the fingers. That actually decreases effectiveness because being able to squeeze the fingers together provides more warmth. When I saw the new version of the Toaster Mitts, I actually went out and bought 2 pairs of the older model to keep as backup and for future usage. If I had to get the new version in the future, I would probably flip them inside out and cut the stitching and then seal with goop or neoprene glue.

sing

1 Like

I have the old original Toaster mitts and still use them for most winter paddling. My wife has the ones you mentioned with the stitch. We had to remove the stitching and seam seal hers to make them warm enough. I just went to the NRS website to see if my review (complaining about the stitch) was there and found what looks be the current version with no stitch! Good to see that they changed them back.

1 Like

Well done!!!

sing