Cold weather paddling gloves?

two from nrs do the trick
I’m from the Southeast, where bitter cold isn’t an issue. When it’s mild I use NRS Rapid gloves, switching to NRS Navigators when it’s colder.

At my age, it doesn’t take much exposure to the wet and cold for the skin on the finger-tips to split. Yet that hasn’t happened to me, at least not from paddling. I’m quite satisfied with these gloves. (If in doubt, order one size up.)

Glacier
Most of my paddling is in the winter. I have had NRS Reaction Gloves and some model of Warmer Gloves and until Paddle_lupe turned me on to Glacier Gloves, my hands were always cold.

I think the thing that sets Glacier’s apart is even when water gets into the glove, your hands stay warm (wetsuit effect I guess)

My $0.02

Jay

Glacier Gloves
I have tried some cheaper neoprene gloves and found the Glacier Gloves to be great. The fit, comfort and being waterproof make them a pleasure to have on.

keeping you hands warm
I’ve tried a wide variety of gloves and neoprene pogies. However, Kayak Pro’s pogies are my favorites. They are waterproof nylon with a radiant reflective inner coating. They are very thin, light in weight, and toasty warm when you’re paddling. I’m looking for something similar to use for a canoe paddle. JC

Winter paddling
I use NSR neo mitts one size too large combined with fleece liner mitts. Works great in MN when paddling in the cold.

Sliding Stroke & Pogis
Doesn’t work great. Go Toaster Mitts I guess.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Also a Pogi

http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=kym

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

I agree with Mr. Boyd and Paddle_lupe
I’ve got a pair of NRS ‘Reactor’ gloves and Glacier Gloves ‘Perfect Curve’ gloves w/light fleece lining. The Reactors are binding, an unnatural curve, and were friggen no way near as warm, I suffered near frozen hands in those suckers. I went back to the Glacier gloves and my hands are toasty little suckers again. Sorry, but I really think the Glacier Gloves blow away the Reactors in fit, comfort and warmth, even though the Reactors really LOOK like they should be much better than they really are. I guess looks aren’t everything? The Reactors look cooler, and unfortunatly for me, they literally were.

Canoe Pogies
Bob Putnam is a Ct. slalom racer who posts sometimes on www.cboats.net and www.npmb.org

He had a page up with instructions for making pogies for single blade paddlers from neoprene. Unfortunately that seems to be gone now.

IIRC the shaft pogie was just like a double blade pogie with two holes for the shaft to pass through while the top hand pogie had only one shaft hole.

Henderson Insta-Dry
scuba gloves - they also have a couple that look even better, too.

you can get canoe pogies
Mountain Surf makes canoe pogies, and I’m sure there’s probably at least one other company out there making them, too. I have a pair but prefer gloves in all but the coldest conditions - in an open boat, my hands almost never get wet, versus a kayak where your hands get dipped on every stroke pretty much.

http://www.mountainsurf.com/shop_online_i387836.html?catId=112857

that’s the down side of pogies

– Last Updated: Nov-13-07 2:24 PM EST –

Your hands become useless pretty quickly if you have to pull them out for a rescue. One of the reasons I've come to prefer gloves, even though they're not as warm.

Drysuit and gloves
I assume that if you have a drysuit you would want water proof gloves that would extend up the arm so the drysuit can cover the glove. What would be the best choice for this type of glove? Neoprene and also have another glove under for additional warmth? Thanks.

PJC Glove question
The dry suit wrist gasket would probably not fit over a glove and form a water tight seal. It takes a bit of effort to put a bare hand thru the gasket. Attempting to put a gloved hand thru might rip the gasket or stretch the gasket enough that it would no longer seal around a bare wrist. If the glove does not extend too far up the arm, you might be able to put the end of the sleeve over the top of the glove and achieve a partial seal with the velcro fastener.

Commercial Fishing Gloves

– Last Updated: Nov-15-07 2:12 PM EST –

Has anyone ever tried commercial fishing gloves for cold water paddling? It would seem like they can work pretty well, as long as you don't go for a swim. They are waterproof, made out of PVC or similar materials, can be insulated, or you can wear a glove liner under them. I have never tried them, but was thinking of ordering a pair. One problem I can see with them is that your hands might sweat, but that might not happen if it's really cold.

Glacier Kenai All Purpose for $13.50
at http://www.gloveman.net/item172569.ctlg

It is the p/n 016BK that paddle_lupe suggested (the p/n shows up when you put the item in your shopping cart).

I just ordered two pair.

They don’t list the Hypalon Perfect Curve, but I may not need that durability, since I don’t paddle whitewater.

Dry gloves are made from fishing gloves

– Last Updated: Nov-16-07 7:31 AM EST –

Specifically, Nordic Blue gloves are Atlas fishing gloves with seals added. I made myself a pair using the more flexible orange Atlas gloves (double dipped, rather than triple dipped as the blue gloves are) and I like them better. The stock yellow, knit liners are basically junk and I use wool gloves as liners instead.

Deep Sees mate
The gaskets on the Deep See Comfort Dry gloves can be mated with dry suit gaskets.

Not for sit and switch
Just guessing if you have a carbon canoe paddle, it’s bent and you are paddling hit and switch. Pogies will not work for that, but I’ve used my kayak pogies for traditional touring paddling. It’s a great way to learn your cross-boat forward stroke.

My Favorites Are…
Glacier Gloves. While a little bit of cold water getting inside them on a really cold day can get your fingertips a bit nippy for a few moments, I really like them a lot (as does my wife). They insulate really well, require very little effort to wrap around the paddle shaft, and seem to stand up well to heavy use.