Cold weather paddling gloves?

Glacier Gloves use Yamamoto Neoprene
Thanks to all for the timely info and recommendations on Glacier Gloves. While searching for some online sources I found that Glacier Gloves are made from Yamamoto neoprene. After reading about the features of this product, I am ready to buy. Here is a description of the product from a wetsuit maker:

"Yamamoto neoprene is:

• Super light-weight
  • Exceptional thermal insulation
  • Super stretchability
  • Unique high density cell structure

Yamamoto Corporation is a Japanese manufacturer of closed cell 100% neoprene. For over 40 years Yamamoto has set the standard for quality and innovation in the neoprene industry. Their advanced manufacturing techniques involving the use of special polymers, have led to the creation of a rubber that has a completely independent cell structure. These closed cells are packed together at an extremely high density. Each individual cell is filled with nitrogen gas to prevent water penetration and increase heat retention."

http://surfallday.co.nz/technical.html

Nordic Blues
I have used Nordic Blue gloves with a drysuit for several years now. Some people cut the stock liners out and use different ones. Overall very well satisfied with them.

1st impressions of Glacier Glove Kenai
I received them in the mail today.

1. Not warm enough for 10 minute walk to the mail room in our community. It was 30 degrees F and no wind at 11pm. This morning’s rain puddles frozen in the streets. Gloves started cooling immediately and felt kind fo clammy too. Hands were uncomfortably cold by the time I returned home.

Granted, my hands would warm up quite a bit under the effort of paddling in these temps in the daytime, but they would probably start cooling quickly after I stopped paddling.

2. Seams are rough on the inside and would probably cause significant irritation after paddling very long. Of greatest concern is the seam between the thumb and index finger.

I may try either a thin polypro or wool liner or try trimming the rough seam to reduce irritation. Has anyone tried trimming the seams to make them less irritating?

Does anyone use liners in these to reduce irritation and improve comfort?

3. They are very grippy and soft and flex easy. Seem to allow good dexterity.

4. Easy on and easy off.

I hope to try them out sometime this week.

Any gloves without the rough seems?

Glacier model 802BK is excellent
I posted a review of them last week.

No problems with rough seams, and they are warm, waterproof, and feel good while paddling. They cost about $30 more than the model you bought, though. Well worth it, IMO.

Walmart Gloves

– Last Updated: Nov-27-07 3:38 PM EST –

Neoprene gloves in the Hunting section of Walmart - $7 perfect. Will last a year or more. I've used every glove made and they all leak in a short period. For winter paddling I use my Walmart Neo gloves and a over mitt over them. I never get cold hands anymore and can easily pull the glove out if I need my fingers for anything. The over mitt is really a wind chill blocker.

Water proof over mitts can be bought at ski shops, Campmore, Cabelas etc. I have the OR mitts. like these:

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/30877/

but mine have a rubbery palm. You can add that with some Aquaseal that you squeege on. Also, I paid less than half that at Campmore.

If it's really cold, I use NRS Glacier Mitts under the over mitts.

Don't forget to have drip rings on your paddle.

Glacier Kenai All Purpose paddling impr-
essions:

Conditions: About 40 degrees F, breezy and paddling a Sawyer Summersong solo canoe for about an hour. 80% of the paddling was with the kayak paddles because they work better for me in this canoe.

230cm AT SL Tour & 225cm Epic Relaxed Tour kayak paddles: Very comfortable and good grip and paddle feel. No complaints or noticeable irritatioins.

ZRE canoe paddle: Good paddle feel and grip, but the inside seam between the thumb and index finger may be problem for the lower hand on longer outings.

It wasn’t cold enough to evaluate the warmth of the gloves. I could have paddled bare handed.

Hypalon or not?
So as far as I read Glacier Gloves are the best and the best of them are the Perfect Curve ones. My question is this, a Christmas present is riding on this one, do the Hypalon palmed gloves have fleece lining or do I get to pick between fleece lined and Hypalon palms/no fleece lining. I can’t tell From Campmor.com and GlacierGlove.com if the Hypalon ones have fleece linings…

Gee, this will make a good present for me.

John

I was wondering the same thing.
I couldn’t tell from the web sites, either.

I have 2 glacier glove models

– Last Updated: Nov-29-07 1:10 PM EST –

Some original ones and the "Perfect Curve" ones with curved fingers. Both are great. The curved finger ones really give you good grip and feel, but for extra warms, you can wear a liner glove under the originals.

Glacier glove warmth level
I have found glacier gloves to be perfectly warm enough for paddling in the winter on the Texas coast, where the real benefit comes from protecting your hands from cold water that would soak a conventional glove.

4 years ago, I went to my MIL’s mountain cabin for Christmas, and since glacier gloves were the only gloves I owned (besides leather “dressy” gloves that would be ruined by XC skiing), I took them. My hands froze while wearing them for XC skiing.

the right pogies will beat all gloves
I have bought 3 differnent gloves and 4 different pogies and used them all extensivly in cold weather.

The snap dragon pogies are the best.

They keep me warm in all conditions. My hands sweat on the coldest days.

snap dragons are great because you can easily slip your hands in and out. Even upside down.

I keep gloves with me incase it gets too cold. Though this has not even come close to happening. The water will freeze before that happens. Though I keep them with me in case of a swim far from shore.

I had glacer gloves. The are good, but always a pain to get on and off, and really hard to dry out. I do not like gloves period. But glacers are real good.

Another downside to gloves. I had a bad ring worm infection on my hand after letting my gloves fester for a week between paddles. I think it was the gloves sitting wet for a week that caused it. It was gross and hard to get rid of… Be ware. I think you will like snap dragons a lot. I have a pair of hot hands, and hyper hands. I think they are about equal.