Coleman or?

The decal says Coleman, but it doesn’t look like any Coleman I have seen.

Maybe the sticker was applied as a joke?

Like putting a Jansport patch on a Goruck?

1 Like

Less likely to get stolen, I guess.

1 Like

Cap’t, where ya been?

Looks like a Coleman to me. I dont think they sell the stickers and can’t imagine anyone adding a sticker to fake . . . Pedigree!

1 Like

Is that a '59 Chevy in the background?

2 Likes

He does have some interesting junk. Yes. Looks like a '59.

1 Like

Jyak, it has been a long winter. Looking forward to spring!

I can’t imagine someone putting a Coleman sticker on a non-Coleman boat.

The only Coleman canoes I am familiar with are the polyethylene ones.

The interior and exterior are different colors. It looks to be a fiberglass or maybe a Royalex boat? Also there is no interior pipe framing.

Don’t know much about the Colemans other than they were RAM-X, high-density polyethelene. I believe it’s formed in layers, so they could make it in different colors inside and out. Their canoes that I used were solid colors, but I recall seeing some that were cream inside with red or green exteriors. They did use various seat styles - one piece molded plastic frame and seat pad, aluminum tubing with plastic seat pad, and aluminum frame with webbing. They changes hands several times so maybe they experimented with different features. Nice inexpensive boats that offered a reasonable canoe to putter around in. The big problem is they deformed easily and always look like a dropped baby.

I have things that I try to catch up on during the winter. This winter, I’ve been fairly reclusive, reading, catching up on movies, music and staying warm and dry.

Its been very mild here in central Maryland without much extreme weather and no snow other than a few flurries. Now that I think about it, no ice storms either. I still haven’t accomplished all I wanted to do and the winter is slipping away. I plan a vigorous kayaking season, and all the canoe talk has inspired me to pull out my canoes that I set aside when I became enchanted with the incredible experience of kayaking.

3 Likes

Here some pics of one. Now they are Pelicans. Coleman Expedition 146 (Now Pelican Excursion 146) Open Touring Canoe. 2 Seats. for sale from United Kingdom

3 Likes
1 Like

You are correct. :+1:t3:

1 Like

You are correct! I have never seen a Coleman without the internal tubing.

I may or may not have one at our vacation house :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Also interesting is that are no floatation aids in the bow and stern. It must achieve neutral buoyancy without aids much like Royalex.

… or an ice chest seat.

The absence of flotation is interesting. RAM-X is a proprietary “high molelecular weight polyethelyne”. It’s abrasion and crack resistant, strong, uv resistant, and stiff but flexible enough to spring back. It’s formed in layers to increase strength, but I don’t know if it has any broperties to maje it bouyant. Royalex is different in that they uses layers of ABS with an ABS foam core. The foam core gives it the bouyancy. I understand Royalex is no longer made, but other manufacturers have similar products.

The early Colemans may have been ABS which I believe is weaker than RAM-X (which was improved by a “cross linking” process). That may be the reason they braced the interiors with an aluminum stiffner. Later Colemans were RAM-X, so I wonder if Pelican acquired Coleman and incorporated their proprietary RAM-X into the designs, before changing the name of the canoe line to Pelican.

Before this post, I didn’t know that Coleman changed to Pelican or that they discontinued Royalex. Those old Colemans were a right-of-passage for the unwashed millions like myself who wanted cheap fun on the water.

1 Like

Good reference find. The Colemans that i have seen and used (my sister’s pond boat) have all been with metal tube frame and stiffeners.

sing

2 Likes

You can update the Coleman with a new decal for only 12 bucks!
Capture

2 Likes

But would it be a genuine Pelican.

2 Likes

If not for an inexpensive line of boats, I wouldn’t have started canoeing and definitely wouldn’t have tried kayaking.

2 Likes

Cheap canoes got me started as well. When I was young we paddled mainly Coleman canoes. Dad bought a plastic canoe with a molded plastc thwart. It seemed to be of the same material as the Coleman, but no tubing supports. I dont know the brand.

1 Like