Comfortable pfd

It was recommended to me by an old school guy working off his experience, he may not have been aware of that. Nice to know though. Nice the way these “Acquisitions “ work out eh?

Thanks
mjac

There are two versions of the Kokatat: Hustle does not have the rescue belt, while the Hustle-R does.

I looked at them, there was the “Hustle” which had sort of an open design and there was the “Hustler” which looked like more of a closed design and was super expensive like $300. I did not see the Hustle-R, but I was not looking that closely. So far I like the way the Astral EV-8 looks, simplicity.

Thanks
mjac

I used the hyphen for effect as the ‘R’ denotes Rescue. Pics of the Hustle and HustleR:

I have a V8 and am happy

I assume that is the rescue belt across the belly. I mean not being familiar with these things it just seems like a weird design being so open like that with a pod down on the belly. It does not look very secure if you were in rough water as opposed to the Astral EV-8. But that is just me and my untrained eye.

Thanks
mjac

Tell me about it, comfortable, durable, slim, breaths well? just like the way it looks up until now.

Thanks
mjac

I really don’t know anything about different skin cancers but my impression is that carcinoma can be more easily treated and is not as quick to metastasize as melanoma.
They are both skin cancers caused by exposure to ultraviolet light and untreated can kill you.

From what I understand Melanoma is the aggressive one. But you had the same thing on both cheeks? That seems strange.

Thanks
mjac

Yes found pockets in V8 near useless. If you search here others have said the same about the pockets. I hate jackets that float up to my chin after paddling. Stohlquist Trekk wasn’t to bad either out of others I had. They are going out of business not sure if any are left.

My Irish/German skin grew up in the south when our summer uniform was shorts and sometimes shoes. I have lived my life loving the sun and heat. I feel lucky to have it only in those places.

I am glad you got back, there is a Kokatat “Hustle” for $149 and a Kokatat “Hustler” Rescue for $289, which one specifically are you talking about, $289 is a lot of money. Now I have never even seen one so I don’t know anything about them, you own one. One, I am not going to store anything on the PFD, I want the PFD slim and contoured with no bulky pockets and as little bulk as possible, just for paddling. The Delta 12.10, if I can ever get one, has a personal items dry hatch right in front, everything would go in there. These two Kotatats have these huge armpit and neck openings like an open design with a pouch looking pad at the belly. Does this make it bulky at the belly area and with this open design is it secure like in rough water?

I would hate a jacket that floats up to my chin while paddling, the VE-8 has a tendency to do that?

Don’t know any of this, that is why I am asking.

Thanks
mjac

I don’t have Irish/German skin, but I baked in the South’s sun for years unprotected doing what I did, somehow, luckily escaped unharmed until now, maybe that was the difference, I don’t know. Sister, never been in the sun, cancer spot on the face. You got me.

This is a warning sign, take care of the skin, maybe introduce more foods high in antioxidants and Collagen.

Thanks
mjac

1 Like

R is heavier codura material and has belt & ring for rescue. You don’t need that my partner has the regular one non R.

Openings at neck and arms are big and comfortable. It stays down in the water and has good buoyancy. I would not call it form fitting. I do wear it in my 29.5" x 16" cockpit openings in my Current Designs Extremes with neo skirts. I’m 6’ 225 lb. and I used it when I was 30 lb heavier in them. Their is bulk or it wouldn’t float you. Larger opening at neck and arms mean it has to displace water somewhere. You may like a jet ski jacket better or surf ski jackets they use.

https://tcsurfski.com/product-category/pfds-life-jackets/

So the Hustler Rescue is an entirely different vest geared for rescue, we don’t need that and we don’t need the $289.

The Astral EV-8 and the Kokatat Hustle are just two different designs and you have to pick which one you like.
I am really glad you posted your cock pit size and stature. You are bigger than me and you fit into a cockpit opening of 29.5” x 16 even when you were 250 pounds. ( how did you lose 30lbs?) The cockpit size of my Hurricane Santee 116 (Regular, not the Sport) is 17.5” x 40.75” inside dimensions ( they publish outside) and I want to get a Delta 12.10 which has a cockpit size of 17” x 32” and I was afraid I would have trouble entering and exiting. But if you can fit into yours I should not have any problems.

Those vests you illustrated look like they would really ride up on your neck, there is no neck opening at all.

Edit: Just looked at the Stolquist “Trekker”, that looks like a nice PFD, very straight forward, simplistic. Amazon still has some Stolquist, if thet are going out of business, there are going to b deep discounts,I am going to check for a Trekker, any other models?

Thanks
mjac

1 Like

Look everyone, Amazon still has some Stolquist PFDs, if they are going out of business there are going to be deep discounts, what models to look for, @PaddleDog52 suggested the Trekk.

Thanks
mjac

I can get these:

Edit: Pulled the trigger, no use waiting around, bought both of them, will try them on and pick the best one. Stay tuned.

Thanks
mjac

I have the women’s version of the Trekker, the Cruiser, and I like it better than the V-8. Better fit, for me anyway, and does not ride up. Hope you like one of the two you got.

Too bad about Stohlquist!

1 Like

@Doggy_Paddler , @PaddleDog52 , now I am confused, ya’ll related? That is good to know, makes me feel better about taking a shot. They just looked too good to pass up, they were at a good price and one had one left the other 19 left, so I took a shot on them. I bought two, but I will try them on and pick one, the Amazon way. I like Stohlquist and this might be my last chance to get one, like getting a piece of history perhaps.

Thanks
mjac

What I like to do is wear my inflatable and that way I can wear a bathing suit and swim and be cool. I always carry a vest (Kokatat) on my deck so I have something to don or throw. When I am doing a crossing or in big water I wear the vest.