Comments on Bach Eto

Hi group;
I’ve got a Rockpool Bach Eto on order from a retailer in Maine. Problem is, it’s been on order for 7 months now. While Covid is being blamed completely for the materials problems, labor problems etc. There’s been a major lack of communication from Rockpool and the retailer regarding the specific problems. Despite being told a month ago those problems had been “solved” and things would proceed in a few days, I now hear only that I might hear more “soon”. I’m at the end of my patience with the delays and total lack of info from both Rockpool and the retailer. My question is this…

Does anyone own or have opinions on the performance of the Eto to suggest if waiting further is worthwhile? I understand the forthcoming comments about having paddled the boat to form my own opinion. My purchase was based on use of an older Alaw Bach (old) and the Tiderace Xcite, which was an awesome rough water boat and related to the Bach.

I’m at the the of my chain and would like some input on the Eto…

Thanks…

Bummer! I can’t offer anything specific on the Eto, but Maine has a very friendly and helpful Tiderace dealer who I’m sure would be happy to help you. :slight_smile:

I’m based in Maine and have a Bach Eto that I purchased from a local retailer. I got mine last May. It was during the height of COVID. If I remember correctly my order was delayed a bit due to everything. I have no regrets purchasing the boat and I’ve had nothing but very good customer service from my local retailer. I have used my ETO Extensively since I got it all through last winter and most of the summer. It’s a fantastic boat I’ve used it for surfing and multi day trips on the main island trail. The customer service I received from my retailer has been stellar. I had an issue with my kayak that I caused and Rockpool was very responsive. Imagine he must be very frustrated it was hard for me to I’m based in Maine and have a Bach Eto that I purchased from a local retailer. I got mine last May. It was during the height of COVID. If I remember correctly my order was delayed a bit due to everything. I have no regrets purchasing the boat and I’ve had nothing but very good customer service from my local retailer. I have used my ETO Extensively since I got it all through last winter and most of the summer. It’s a fantastic boat I’ve used it for surfing and multi day trips on the main island trail. The customer service I received from my retailer has been stellar. I hope everything works out.

Believe me, I’ve given thought to finding an Xcite again as it was a great boat. I actually sold mine because of its weight. It was spec’d to weight 52# but when I had it weighed to ship it came in at 63#. Because of back issues I couldn’t deal with it any longer.

Who is the Tiderace dealer you reference?

Hi Rockpool,

It’s good to see your comments about the boat. Can you say something more specific about the handling characteristics? I’ve based much of my purchase decision on my experience with an old Bach, and largely my previous Tiderace Xcite (an ancestor of the Eto).
Who was the dealer you purchased from if I can ask? As I said. the dealer I’m working with has been quite lacking with support in actually getting information from Rockpool. “Soon” isn’t an answer.

Kayak Ways. https://kayakways.net/

I’m surprised your Xcite was that heavy. My Xtreme, which is known to be a heavy layup, is 61#.

I purchased it from the Nanuq Kayaks in Portland. I only started Sea kayaking last year so the Eto is my first kayak. Consequently I don’t have much to compare it with. I can say it tracks very well, rolls easily and I feel very stable in it on choppy waters. The only thing I wish is that it had a little for stowage room for longer trips though I’ve had no problems packing for up to 4 days so far. I’ve had a few experienced paddlers / guides use it and they have all raved about it.

Thanks for your response. I know Turner, and have spoken to him about this. Unfortunately, Tiderace no longer produces the Xcite and when they did the lighter weight versions were still far heavier than I’m willing to deal with. A shame as it was a superb boat.

Well Let me give you I little insight. I purchased a RockPool Isel from Sea Kayak Connecticut back in 2018. The boat was on order little over a year. Now they were great by giving me a loaner Isel free of change. Truly awesome customer service. See if Nanuq Kayaks will do the same for you? Now I believe RockPool will only ship boats once they have enough built to fill a container. Why I had such a long wait. Sea Kayak Connecticut is the US distributor for RockPool give them a call it see if they can help 203-247-9186

Thanks for that John. It’s Nanuq Kayaks I’ve purchased from… I’m finding that both they and Rockpool have been less than transparent about when/if the boats will be shipped. Mostly Rockpool; I suppose Nanuq can only tell me what they’ve been told. I’d been told back in March that my boat had been started, then again in July that it had been finished. Seems a bit off to me. A month ago I was told that 90% of the entire order was complete and they’d be shipping in a few days. Now all I hear is “soon”. I’m in Michigan so there’s no chance of getting a loaner really.

Now it’s interesting to hear you waited over a year for yours. I won’t do that. I’m at the point of demanding a definitive answer as to when to expect delivery. Really disappointing to hear of your wait…

Thanks for the info.