Compass Cayak

We have a compass cayak made of carbon fiber and kevlar. This weekend we noticed the right side buckling all along the gunwale. the left side is fine. The boat has been stored in our garage with 4 other boats and they are fine. Any every encounter this before? Is so is there any repair?

Thanks,

Gary

Extremely light layup
Joel Flather built his cayaks for lightness, not strength, and unfortunately the extremely light layup can buckle and crack, especially if it delaminates. Unfortunately, Joel’s gone to his reward so you don’t have much recourse there.

However, Compass Cayaks are classics, built on Rushton molds, and it may be worth it to you to invest in restoring it.

Carl Ladd of Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures in Westport, MA is extremely gifted at composite repair, and being a neighbor of Joel’s has probably seen more Compasses than most folks. Give him a call 508-636-0300.

And if you want to replace it I have a couple, a 10’ kevlar Tippet and a 12’ fiberglass Leader. I’ve been saving the Leader in case I ever get a chance to try freestyle, but let me know if you’re interested.

Compass Cayak
Thank you very much for that information and the contact. I will certainly be calling him in the morning. Sorry to hear about Joel.

Gary