compass installation

Hi,

Looking to install a silva 70p compass in the recess of my valley kayak. Can anyone advise who has done this as to the process and difficulty?

done once

– Last Updated: Sep-27-06 3:45 PM EST –

with a Valley Nordkapp H2O. I did have to add a closed cell shim cut to match (about 2 mm thick) between deck and compass bezel as the compass lower hemisphere contacted factory recess before a flat fit was possible. I also used a brand new, sharp drill bit for the holes that were confirmed twice before boring.

After confirming alignment to lubber line per Silva's instructions, it all got snugged in place. I also subsituted non-ferrous SS machine screws with nylock nuts over washers. All then over-dabbed with silicon sealant. No gear snags or leaks.

hey thanks
Thanks for the quick response! I can’t wait to get this installed…

Just remember a few things
Use brass, bronze or non-magnetic SS hardware (some alloys of SS such as 301, 303, 304, 316, 321) can be slightly magnetic. When buying fasteners, take your compass and run a test.

Cut off any protruding portions of the fasteners.

Seal the holes with rubber gaskets, marine sealant or both.

And lastly, make sure your lubber line aligns with the boat’s keel.

Jim

thanks again and a follow up question:
…where do I get the screws/hardware you mentioned?

Home Depot and Lowes
or your local equivalent should have small, speciality hardware of the non-magnetic type. And local marine shop if you are near big water. I just did not like the sharp points of supplied screws that I feared would either pull loose or poke holes through front hatch stored gear.

The compass will act up when you use hand tools near-by. That effect is temporary and will cause no harm.

neoprene washers
The advice on shimming between the compass and the boat is good - if the compass pushes against the indent for it, it can cause it to leak, I hear.

I used neoprene washers from my local Ace Hardware - you find them in the pull-out trays in the screws and bolts aisle. It only took one to shim the compass nicely on a glass Aquanaut. Compass works fine, but the best part is that it makes the boat look sexy!

Alan

norse-- where’d ya buy the compass?

– Last Updated: Sep-28-06 12:41 AM EST –

I need one. Link?

The stock screws work fine
I’ve installed a bunch of 70Ps and have not found any need to use anything other than the factory-supplied screws.

Ditto that
I installed the compass in my Nordkapp using nothing but the hardware that came with it.

Being already 4 years, not a problem.

same experiance
just dab a little silicon on the screw tips if they happen to be in a place you think they might pin hole something or scratch something. I tend to over build, but the supplied screws have worked fine on several boats for several years now.

Best Wishes

Roy

Agree too
If there are forces at work on your boat that might rip the compass off/out given it protected location, I think you would have problems that might make the loss of the compass seem rather unimportant. You can trim those screws in length after starting them and with just a dab of epoxy make a nice smooth mound. Screws come out easily if the need arises to adjust line markers.

Which leads to a few questions. Anyone notice the line markers on occasion do not line up vertically? And what do folks do to be as precise as possible about setting the line markers? Run a string down the boat?

lots of places sell them…
including most local kayak shops. With that said, if your local shop doesn’t have them, you can order one from Rutabaga (https://www.rutabaga.com/product.asp?pid=1002406) or any other online kayak retailer.

hey doc
I ordered one from rutabaga but apparently it was their last in stock. I’m sure they can get more. Also know that Riverside kayak connection (www.riversidekayak.com) in SE MI supplies them from valley.

alignment
Possibly run a chalk line from stem to stern. Thanks again gus, I think I’m going to photodocument this. Might need some anesthetic (for me) before drilling holes in my boat.

Thanks Norser and Schizopak
I’ll get one for my Valley Avocet but, man, it’s a C note! For a compass.

https://www.rutabaga.com/product.asp?pid=1002406

Amazon. Com
http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-70P-In-Dash-Marine-Compass/dp/B000FKRQ52

they cost a lot because they are far more precise than many lesser compasses.

Lubber line alignment
"If there are forces at work on your boat that might rip the compass off/out given it protected location, I think you would have problems that might make the loss of the compass seem rather unimportant."

LOL! Well put, Ed.

“And what do folks do to be as precise as possible about setting the line markers? Run a string down the boat?”

That’s what I do. I tape one end of a string to the center of the bow and the other end to the center of the deck at the coaming, then turn the compass until the lubber lines align with the string.

Shop around
The last time I looked for a 70P, I found one for $75, but I can’t remember where.

Thanks Norse, NT, Schizo and Bnyst
I just bought one this second from Amazon, NTs’ link, for my Valley Avocet.

Thanks, y’all.