Compass Placement on QCC700

Not at all
But I don’t need reading glasses yet either!

Seriously - I think that may be the issue with some folks as the average age of sea kayakers matches the need for reading glasses pretty well. Always consider the source of comments.

I think the placement is about ideal - even though mid-hatch on a 700 is pretty far forward. Much closer it would be a pain to look down at in choppy waters - which has also already been mentioned, and is the more important comment of the two IMO.

Others will naturally disagree, and would prefer it somewhere on deck between the hatch and bungees - where most Brit boats have it (but they don’t have the hatch mount option with rubber hatches either - so it sort of has to go there).

All of this is minor stuff. Why all the concern? Buy the boat you like and just deal with the small stuff. They are what they are.

Get it, paddle it a while. If for some reason it turns out to be a huge issue for you in reality (vs. imagining) just cut a hole in the deck, glass in your own recess, move the compass, and use the plain hatch. Pretty small and manageable job (use hatch recess as a guide - or recycle it).