Compass Suggestions (WS Tempest 170)

Line 5 (from the link) says disk

– Last Updated: May-21-05 10:31 AM EST –

The picture also clearly shows a disk. The post I answered was about a Brunton, not a Nexus.

70P Marine
4"x3"x3"
8.3 oz.
5° graduations
Direct reading disk
Reciprocal bearing
Bulkhead mount
Dash/surface mount

But if the people who have it say it is no problem to read, I guess it's not an issue.

I own a bunch of them and am looking

– Last Updated: May-21-05 9:03 PM EST –

at one in a box right now. You are right about the disk but wrong about the reading to an extent. It uses a disk about1/2 inch high. This disk is floating on a sapphire bearing which sits upon a free floating platform in a sphere. Bottom line: the disk stays level and is easy to read, at any degree of pitch and enough yaw to freak me out, unlike some ritchie deck mount models.

I’M not flatpick and I don’t play him n

– Last Updated: May-21-05 11:20 PM EST –

TV but if you are doing a T rescue right the other boat is on your coaming. that should be one of the strongest places and also you will have the best leverage. If it slides onto your deck you are out of control.

So "why" do you ask "do many british boats have a rescue patch in front of the cockpit?" They have them in order to facilitate a paddler sitting there, the injured boat between the paddlers on the coaming, and the repair of the boat by the paddler seated in the cockpit, while the paddler seated on the deck holds onto the holed boat and uses it to maintain stability

I’d suggest using…
…a Ritchie Kayaker in your circumstance. It’s a pretty low profile compass that doesn’t have anything to snag on.

Any compass that protrudes above the deck is subject to damage, but on the Meridian it’s mounted so far forward that it would take a serious screw-up to hit it with a boat during a T-rescue.

yep
what they both have said is good.

generally you won’t bang up a compass too badly, especially if it is far enough forward.

steve

your call
but its my $550 sleeping bad that resides under my compass mount. a ‘dab of silicone’ over a razor sharp sheet metal screw ain’t gunna cut it for me. btw- what trouble? you seriously think a sheet metal screw is going to stay tight and bombproof threaded into soft plastic?

steve

Thanks all for the advice!