composite P&H Capella

I just saw one today and wondered if anyone could compare it to a plastic Capella? I recalled the plastic one I paddled as being fairly maneuverable but this one looks like it wouldn’t be. Curious how similar they are.

name
The name is very similar.

Otherwise - different boats.

capella
The older plastic ones with the square hatches were indeed “maneuverable” or “tracked like a drunk squirrel” depending on your perspective. The new Capella’s (plastic or glass) are entirely different boats.

which one
did you see? There are 4 in the fglass series.

I paddled the smallest one (161) in glass and then the smaller one (the 160) in roto.

The 161 seemed a nice allrounder, stable, not real quick but accelerated surprisely well & responsive to strokes. If I were just starting out and one showed up in my driveway I wouldn’t push it to the curb. One could have some fun & learn a bunch in that boat.

The 160 roto seemed sluggish in comparision both going forward and manoeuvring, but that’s not to say it’s a barge. It just comes around fractionally later.The ends seem fuller. That could be a good thing for rockgardening. Overall just left me with a “meh” kind of experience - not bad but not standout.

The P&H cockpit (in either flavor) outfitting IMO is some of the best in the business as is their choice of hatch covers and overall build quality. The roto is, acc. to owners I know who take their Chathams & Capellas on rocky rivers, bomber tough.

Then there is the new (over the last few seasons) P&H skeg, which is a pinch & release slider. It is a love it or hate it thing. I’d have to own one & use it a lot to really decide which.

that explains it
yes, I paddled the older one with square hatches. This carbon/kevlar one I’m looking at doesn’t have much rocker and the ends are fine.

composite 169
is the composite version without the later modifications. I think they stopped advertising those a couple years ago. I see a lot of them out there still. I have an old square hatch plastic version and a newer carbon/kevlar 169. The 169 is very easily maneouvered, and almost everyone would likely consider it too squirrely and gravitate towards something more easily managed. The newer Capella version probably fits this pretty well, and I’m sure is also very maneouverable as far as sea kayaks are concerned. A P&H rep not too long ago on this forum, if I remember correctly, said they incorporated more stability into the newer version as well as reducing a bit of rocker. He said the hull shape on the older version was designed with the intention of maintaining speed while fully loaded. I’m not really sure how all that plays out, or even if the refinements took anything away from that or not, but I imagine someone could attempt to explain it.

In any case, if that’s what you’re looking for, keep an eye out for composite 169’s.

Lee
Check the name and see what num Capella it is.

I find the Capellas highly responsive and handle very well. Mainly, the 163 that I paddle. Edges very nicely. With just a comfortable weight shift to hold the edge the kayak comes around surprisingly well. For playboating, my 163 is a great fit.