conflicting info

input bad does not compute. #5 alive!

on this web site

If you go to articles>guidelines>how to get started paddling (perception sport, part 4 getting started)

At 4:12 it is stated to never have the bow heavy into the wind.

If you go to articles >guidelines > canoeing techniques >adjusting trim in a canoe.

At 00:45 it is stated to have the bow heavy into the wind.

I am corn fused help! Have you seen the jet commercial where the top of the head blow’s off and purple smoke comes out. I’m there baby poof LOL

Joe

Slight error in first article.
It should say that the bow should never be trimmed heavy, except in a headwind. Even that statement is a bit simplistic because there are other exceptions - but those won’t mean much to a beginner. For a beginner, bow heavy trim will frustrate, except when fighting a headwind.

sliding seat

– Last Updated: Dec-12-15 12:55 PM EST –

If you get a solo canoe with a sliding seat you can soon figure out what the effect of trim is when dealing with headwinds and tailwinds and adjust for optimum trim.

Paddling into a headwind in a boat that is significantly bow light can be very difficult and frustrating. If your canoe is trimmed neutrally, you may do just fine paddling into a headwind.

If you have a headwind and you find yourself continually lee cocking (bow wanting to swing downwind), then you definitely want to shift weight forward.

The wind is often not coming directly from ahead or astern. If you have a headwind coming from one or the other bow quarter you don't necessarily want the canoe bow heavy as it will then want to continually weathercock (point directly into the wind). You can sometimes use a quartering headwind to your advantage. With the right trim and paddling only on the leeward side of the canoe, the tendency of your forward stroke to turn the canoe toward your offside can be counterbalanced by the tendency of the wind to blow your bow downwind.

english language
use ages especially in paddle motions to desired hull control is often confusing to the bystander if not to those in the discussion. So they tell me. and often.

Google has the answer in searching for the question for example: kayak bow weight. Google should place the most referenced answer at the top of the page.

Confused? search for: kayak edging control.

If anyone is wondering
One of the older members here replied that they always trimmeed their boat perfectly level when paddling the duckpond at the local retirement communitty and if the wind was blowing then the only prudent course was to stay home.

I followed this with a reply about ballasting the boat to allow it to maintain course in strong winds. Several other people rejoined with additional comments, personal experiences and explanations of the science involved and the related technical terminology. A lively and informative discussion indeed, as I recall.

The “stay home” commentator became enraged that we dared post under his comment and offered a flaming rebuttal that his way was the only way.

From there, and this merely conjecture on my part admittedly, I believe his fury at the mass contradictions to his advice drove his blood pressure up to extreme levels. I believe, unverifiable of course, that this surge in pressure caused his hemoroids to swell abnormally large. It is well known that such extreme swelling in gentleman of advandced years results in a large percentage of the available blood to become concentrated in the affected area and results in a decreased flow available for the brain.

This condition is called anal-cranial diversion, not to be confused with the related but far more common cranial anal inversion, a precursor to the former condition.

This loss of blood flow to the brain results in severe diminishment of cognitive powers. During this period of reduced capacity the “stay home” commentator (again, this is supposition on my part) deleted his incorrect advice inadvertently eliminating all the useful replies to the OP which came after his comments.

So, in summary, ballast your boat bow heavy in headwinds, stern heavy in tailwinds and, if you are a frequent sufferer of cranial anal inversion you should consult with your physician about annual anal cranial diversion testing.

…and if your J-stroke is up to date…

– Last Updated: Dec-14-15 12:41 PM EST –

you don't have to go overboard with the overweighting.
Efficiency can still make it all doable, takes a little experimenting with the added weight.