Considering a Hobie Mirage Kayak

We have been paddling the upstate NY area from the Capital Region and up to the St. Lawrence seaway for over 5 years now. We are in our mid 50’s and looking for a change to carry us in to the next 10-15 years. Besides we have 2 adult children who would be more interested in using the Hobie with it’s options.

Have mostly owned Wilderness Systems Pungo 120’s and a one Tsunami 145. We presently have two WS Pungo 120’s each. The thought of a Hobie Mirage tandem looks appealing. Between the foot paddles and the sail option it looks like it offers more than the standard paddling adventure.

Curious what other experienced paddlers think of the Hobie Mirage ? A bit pricey, but looks like it’s worth it, what do you others think ?

Wife really enjoyed her Hobie Mirage
sport (small 12’, 50# one) while recovering from shoulder surgery. Found it exc. used for $1100. She continues to use it for upstream, against the current, short, up and back trips until her shoulder is fully reconditioned, and for “recumbent bike-like” exercise. Very stable. Ability to pedal and paddle helps against the wind & current. Neighbor has used a full sized one for fishing for years off his riverfront. Only drawbacks we’ve found for full sized or tandems are weight for cartop loading, and fins are ineffective in very shallow water, and dragging over logs/rocks. Helps that fins fold very tight against the hull when so needed. Very durable piece-parts so far. Wife needs to keep the seat back very vertical and have a good adjustable lumbar support pad for back comfort. We’re 70+ canoers but will keep the little Hobie for shorter challenging paddles. Not sure it’s efficient enough for long distance cruising though. R

All of the Hobies are well built
boats.

If I were getting one, I would get the full blown one including a sail.

If I didn’t have so many canoes and kayaks I probably would have one now.

A couple who were camping next to us had two of them and a crack developed at a stress point. The boat was a year past the guarantee period, and Hobie offered to fix it or give them a credit toward a new boat. they opted for the credit which evidently was a good deal, because he was very happy

There will be a bunch of them on the starting line of the annual 300 mile Everglades Challenge at Fort Desoto tomorrow morning.

Jack L

jack L

If you don’t mind me hi-jacking
your original conversation topic, I wanted to ask how you liked the Tsunami 145. I am about to pick one up at Paddlesport in a few weeks. I am very analytical (funny how you can spell anal from analytical) about purchases like this so I’ve done my homework - the numbers tell me this is the boat for me. However, you can’t quantify “feel” so I am curious to get your input.

WRT the Hobie Mirage, I have never paddled one but spent some time speaking with people at last year’s Paddlesport and i heard nothing but good things. And this was from other visitors to the show, not just the exhibitors.

Good luck.

I tried a single Adventure Is.
In about 20 mph winds and it was a hoot!! I’m no kind of sailor but had one Ama a foot off the water and was flying. When I blew the tacks could just pedal around to pick up the wind.

I want one but the price has kept me away.

SYOTW

Randy

I had a Hobie tandem
as my first kayak. The Oddysey. Was a good tandem SOT, but was heavy, a beast. I’ve tried the pedaled Hobbies, and just did not get it. I prefer paddling. Before you buy the full rig, try moving it by yourself.

pedal systems review

– Last Updated: Feb-28-14 9:10 PM EST –

Way back in its second issue, California Kayaker Magazine did a review comparing the Hobie pedal drive to the Native Watercraft one (and trying to compare both to paddling with a paddle). That article can be read online at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html for free. Issue #2 page 28.

Interesting comparison
I had been trying to find a comparison of the two systems since a lady I met one day at the lake claimed Native’s propeller system was superior and “much faster than the Hobies”. This confirms what I thought about her comments…

Hobie Mirage boats are a lot of fun!
I have tested at least three of them, the Revolution,the Adventure and the Adventure Island. All are a blast and go super fast with little effort when using the Mirage pedal system. And they are not bad at all when paddled either. The only problem is they are heavy and expensive. But if you can handle the weight and have the dough, go for it. You will have more fun than should be allowed. :slight_smile: