Considering a new kayak

-- Last Updated: Aug-12-15 5:02 PM EST --

I am considering purchasing a new kayak in the not to distant future. The main reason is my current kayak is getting to big for me. I currently paddle a WS Zephyr 160. I like it. But, I have lost a lot of weight and I am beginning to feel the desire for something a little more nimble. I like and want a 15-16 foot boat that is designed to perform in rough water. I like a boat with a lot of rocker. I may even just move to the same boat in the 15.5 size but I want to consider other options.

This will be a boat for next season. I am now 5'10 185 Lbs. I am atheletic husky build - thighs and butt on the big side. I am 63 years old. I have a lot of open boat canoeing experience of all different types, mostly longish trips in Canada and Maine. I use my Kayak for day paddling between canoe trips. I will paddle local lakes and rivers in New England and the coast of Maine. I am not yet particularly skilled as a Kayaker but I am improving every year. I use a greenland paddle. This will be a boat for day paddling.

Any suggestions? Plastic may be fine but I want to consider composite if it would make a big difference. My current boat is pretty heavy and it is getting harder for me to get it up on top of the car as the years go on.

Test Drive the Smaller Alchemy
You might like it.