Contact info for "new Sawyer " ?

Does anyone know how I can contact the people restarting Sawyer canoe production about whether they will make the X-17 again in the near future?

And … if a new X-17 isn’t planned … does anyone have suggestions regarding canoes currently in production which have nearly the specs and performance of the X-17? One reviewer suggested that Scott’s Proformer (a rounded-bottom 17 footer with continuous flare throughout) was nearly the same as the X-17. True ? The Swift asymmetricals are tempting … but have a bit too much rocker for the long distance tripper I’m envisioning. (well … mayebe their Quetico would work - it has 2" bow / 1" stern rocker).

LOTS of SEAWORTHINESS with decent efficiency through big water chop and swells is what I’m most interested in … combined with a reasonably portageable weight (55# or less). Planned usage would eventually be to cruise the semi-protected coastal waters of British Columbia and other large inland lakes. Rivers … not so much … but maybe a few larger ones with some modest rapids (class I-II at the most).

I know that conventional wisdom suggests employing “super-tankers” for this kind of duty (such as Wenonah’s Itasca or Champlain, Bell’s Northwoods or Clipper’s Jensen Sea Clipper) … but, I’m thinking a 17-18 footer might be significantly more manueverable (also less surface area drag) and capable of working if total loads are kept below a planned 550 max. Seventy to eighty percent of the time, it would see “normal” canoe duty … and so that’s why I resist the commitment to a super large hull. All thoughts are welcome … thanks, Shawn

Slight update re: Sawyer canoes
I found their phone number by searching the archive and so called Bruce about whether the X-17 and 222 molds are good to go … and YES … they are.

BTW … thanks again for the bow entry photo Eric and your comments regarding the speed and wave handling of the Cascade. The flared bull nose of the Cascade reminds me of a larger version of Swift’s Osprey bow. The below waterline entry does seem relatively narrow. As far as the desirability of a loaded canoe’s bow “slicing” into larger waves, it’s … ofcourse … a matter of degree. Too blunt of an entry will result in pounding when lightly loaded … too fine an entry may result in shipping solid water when heavily loaded. There seems to be little threat of the latter with the Cascade’s bow … and I agree, that’s usually a good thing … especially in waters where far-fetched double amplitude waves are encountered when carrying tripping loads