cool Pamlico 140 pics

Point taken

– Last Updated: Mar-21-06 1:11 PM EST –

I hadn't thought of the concern that posting an age might be a poor idea if underage.

Can't get away from it complicating how to best advise though too. I know a couple of people personally who have offered good advice on p.net, but have not responded to postings from Palmlico because they aren't sure who they are talking to. And without some info on what kind of instruction or paddling group Palmlico can hook up with, it is darned near impossible to figure out what constitutes useful advice.

Just to add - one of the things that is seems odd to me is the lack of mention of any parent or adult in these postings, except for the use of "we" when it comes to hauling the boat around. In our local bike club we came to an agreement about having teenage riders on club rides that include a very visible presence of parents for a variety of reasons, legal as well as practical. We didn't want a 17 year old out there on long rides with the racing group while their parents thought they were pedaling on a quiet bike path. Heck only knows what the situation is in Palmlico's case.

funny
Lighten up…maybe you should practice the same.

I T W A S A J O K E P E O P L E

Man, considering the context of some other posts I see, some sure can dish out the jokes when they feel it’s appropriate.

If Pamlico is an excited kid in the sport, that’s great, and I’m sure we all can agree that we’d support all of them getting involved here. However, to reveal the fact that you may be 14 yoa on a forum like this IS NOT the same thing compared to an open chat room or MY SPACE for that matter. I think this site is perfectly safe for kids of all ages. To say oherwise is almost an insult to Paddling.net. I don’t believe this site would invite the same trash or give those predators a floor to incite young people.

not an insult to P.net at all…
I’m quite sure Brent would be all over any inappropriate posts as soon as it would be brought to his attention, but ANYONE can email you directly from your post if you have email enabled on your profile (and Pamlico does have that enabled). ANYONE could contact him directly off radar, and ALL parents should be cognizant and careful with strangers contacting their kids through the online medium. A real predator will not sound scary or inappropriate at all! I don’t think folks should be paranoid or afraid to use public forums or not allow their kids on public forums, but we all need to be aware that we do not really know anything about people we meet online. As adults we all hopefully can take the appropriate steps to stay safe and use our judgement about sharing personal information or even meeting up with folks we meet online, but a kid may be at greater risk to be taken advantage of. And the reason predators can be successful is that they usually sound extremely benign and are very convincing. Sad, but true.

From earlier post
He has mentioned elder family in a post about band instruments.

“Music runs in my family. My grandpa played the trumpet, Bb clarinet, and then alto sax. My dad played mainly tenor sax, also tried sausaphone out in high school. He also major in music and tried lots of common instruments there. I play a Bb clarinet and I own a beautiful Bb strait soprano sax.I’m really good at the clarinet now. I can play stuff like mission imposible, ode to joy, jurrasic park, mussete, chariots of fire, mozart symphony 3, and tons more.”

Many things Pamlico writes sound like something from a teenager’s life. His music list sounds like things that would be played in school. I give him the benefit of a doubt to be as he claims. Sounds like a good kid who is enthusiastic about paddling. More power to him.

Sorry, no picture resourses to pass on.

Taj

thanks !
I’ll check that out on google. It sounds interesting. :slight_smile:

right now…
The Pamlico 140 is in the gaurage. It’s just cement and dry wall. so I’ll wait untill it’s in good senery to take pics. The camera takes any AA bateries, but the charging ones are all we have now. So I’ll just look for them. plus… I think I now where they are.

No mention of adults is not surprising
Considering the replies Pamlico14 has gotten, he probably feels embarrassed about his age. After all, most of us here are middle-aged and blithely assume he has a car to transport the kayak anywhere he wants, the money to take expensive lessons, and the NERVE to actually like a rec kayak!

Now, c’mon…wouldn’t you be reluctant to state your age in such a situation?

I think he’s for real. Maybe I’ll meet him one of these days, as he lives in CO. I hope he stays enthusiastic about paddling, no matter what kind of kayak he has, because we sure could use more paddlers around here.

Hee hee! :slight_smile:
I hope that my having a bit of fun with you here (at your expense, perhaps) will not be interpreted by you as anything but a bit of good natured ribbing, and a glimpse of my silly sense of humor! :slight_smile:

I’m very glad that you’re so enthusiastic about paddling, and as one who didn’t get into paddling until after my fifth 29th birthday, I can say that you’re very fortunate to be starting your paddling life as early as you are! :slight_smile:

Melissa

Hey Pikabike
We oughta put together a Colorado paddling picnic somewhere this spring. Nothing fancy, everyone bring their own and meet somewhere easy. Could be a lot of folks show up. Maybe Pamlico and his parents could meet the rest of us. I know I’d like to meet more CO folks.

Taj

TaJ, pIKABIKE, ET AL.

– Last Updated: Mar-21-06 5:54 PM EST –

Pamlico140 sounds like an enthusiastic teen... in fact, as I recall, he posted on here once that he was a teen. Now that he feels thoroughly interrogated, without given any significant personal information (street address, ss #, etc), Pamlico 140... please tell us about yourself. Anything at all that you would like to share. No limits. No boundaries.

Here, I'll even start it off with a "reveal" on my end.

I once killed a man with a popsuckle stick because he looked at me funny.

Okay, who's next.

Pamlico, You Are A Good Kid!
I haven’t been responding to your posts, but I have been reading them. I was a little concerned you might be treated harshly here.

I am really impressed the way you handle yourself on this board.

If the adults here were more like you, this board would be a much better place!

What a coincidence.
I once looked at a man funny because he tried to kill me with a popsuckle stick!

I once
dropped a popsuckle stick by a pile of orange peels. I didn’t pick it up because some guy was looking at it with kind of a wild eye. I just left in a hurry.

Taj

thanks
thanks barracuda !!!

Well…
I like italian food.

Uncle!

– Last Updated: Mar-21-06 7:48 PM EST –

Palmlico, if you have the funds, transportation, permissions etc to take a class and/or join a paddling group you should. Or see if there is a local paddle shop that can give a general intro to things to you as well as maybe other family members. Or attend a paddle fest if one is within reach, where there may be classes etc - May is a common time for such things.

If we have one
a Pam 140, that is, at the Jersey, Texas or Kittery shows I will personally take a picture of it and post it asap. possibly with a WS designer, rep, tech staff or 2 in the shot.

does THAT work for ya??

=:-0)

steve

Interesting! Since the popsuckle stick
incident, I like Italian Ice!

you work for tWS right ???

– Last Updated: Mar-21-06 9:02 PM EST –

that would be awesome. Thanks :-). It must be sweet working for WS. You guys have sweet boats.

NO PIX BUT HERE’S THE FIX
on frere Pamlico_140’s ID:

From over on the Paddler’s Place Discussion Board, in the “RETIREMENT” thread, our grine Pamlico responded thusly:

“probally…

Posted by: Pamlico_140 on Feb-25-06 12:32 PM (EST)

– Last Updated: Feb-25-06 12:35 PM EST –

well, Im only a teen but when I get to abount 68, I’ll just keep my kayak with me for ever and store my gear away. I could never let go of my kayak.”

So P140’s somewhere between 12 & 20…

FWIW…

But you know what? He’s still an enthusiastic paddler, and he STILL wants to, intends to, retired or not,

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami