Cool Surf/Rock Play Boat!

Yes, that and…
it’s longer that a true surf boat and might ride the slop we do get better. Long board sort of deal. Certainly should offer variety and not a bad beginner/loaner for paddling off the beach either.

Actually - that’s my main concern with them. Maybe they cover too broad a range and aren’t to great at anything?

Looks good though. Retractable fin enough for most - add fins for the rare big days here…

US importer wanted
Email I got this morning:

-------------------------

Hi there,

Thanks! I am looking for a US importer but have no luck as yet. Will be working on it this year. Maybe they will spot the interest and contact me!

Something will happen - I can feel it in my bones :slight_smile:

Julian Patrick

BLUEsky

Hmmm… Why Not Through
Mega’s existing channels since Malcom Pearcy is involved?

sing

I wish Malcom would get west coast
importer, I gave up trying to buy a new Mega boat.

Surprisingly No…

– Last Updated: Apr-28-05 8:24 PM EST –

haven't found any pics of the underbelly, depite googling efforts. Here's a link to another site with some clearer pics and good description of the features:

http://www.jervisbaykayaks.com/TOURING%20KAYAKS_%20BLUESKY%20ROCKHOPPER%20RH340.htm

Looks to be very much a planing hull but with a sharp but rockered entry. I think with her length, the rocker in the back shouldn't slow her down too much. Will probably do as well or better than some of the older, longer planing hull ww boats that were used for surfing, e.g. Necky Rip, Bliss/Gliss. In fact, it should do better because of the retractable skeg and optional fins which should function in minimizing slipage and enhance diagonal runs/speed.

sing

Surfacing a really “OLD” thread to illustrate my own excitement, interest and evolution in surf paddling and others enthusiastically sharing in my interest. That interest was REALLY about surf specific SINKs, having just given up surfing longboats. Only Cuda talked about liking SOT (which his PNet handle reflected). SeaDart also knows his way around surfing SOTs and was (I think getting into) surf specific SINKs. A couple years after, I totally gave up on surf kayaks for waveskis, a form of SOT (I am on my 7th one). The two reasons for this – First, nothing outperforms a waveski. Two, while a waveski can be rolled with good technique, ore important, it can be climbed back onto in the breakzone if I happen to blow a roll. ANYONE who wants can get a waveski and start to learn paddle surfing. What a great option. NO ONE who is truly honest can say they have a 100% bombproof roll. The remounting option is a major safety factor for my winter surf sessions (often solo).

The guy in the 25 second of the video below was the first good waveskier I met in New England. He was originally from South Africa. I was shocked when he told me he didn’t have a roll. He said he rarely ever flipped because he had good bracing skills:

Now, 16-17 years later, my “surf boat lust” is back and I am waiting somewhat patiently for this baby to get deliver… A “surf specific” longboat (that I didn’t think existed). The Sterling Progression (Thanks, 3MeterSwells, Raisins for introducing me to the Progression. Thanks JohnnySmoke for turning me onto the Delphin):

Now, I am actually waiting for a specific longboat (who would have thunk…) Unfortunately, supply line issues and COVID have set the time-back. Communicated with Sterling Kayak rep last week. She apologized for the delay but didn’t have a specific timeline for when my Progression will get made/finished. I said, “It’s okay. These are ‘trying’ times and we are all trying to cope the best we can.”

Mahalo!

sing

1 Like

Is it worth the wait (weight)? - Yes, on both accounts.

1 Like

Hope so… I actually fully expect it to. :slight_smile: The rep said that shipping to the east coast has doubled in the last six months. She asked whether I was in rush, or would I be willing to bundle up with a larger shipment? I said I am feeling excited to get the boat, BUT NOT ENOUGH that I would pay premium to get the Progression shipped “first class” by itself. Heck, I have never been willing to pay the premium to go first class myself. LOL!

sing

Found the follow up thread to the orginal topic about the Blue Sky RockHopper:

Corgimas (Rob) had the only real Rockhopper in the New England area. I know he was satisfied with the niche for the Rockhopper in his array of boats but he was also honest with the Rockhopper’s shortcomings:

https://sites.google.com/site/corgimas/rockhopper

Anyway, the “promise” of the Rockhopper as a day play boat that can surf and paddle some distance to rockgardens was taken over my PH Hammer, Delphin, Valley Gemini, Dagger Alchemy, etc. Also, the Mariner Coaster had occupied and may have “created” that niche in the first place.

So, the day tour/play boat category continues to evolve. While inspired perhaps by the long range expeditioners in their high volume seakayaks, the majority of the paddlers is in a kayak for a day of paddling and adventure; or in some cases a weekend-week max of kayak camping. (I use and personally prefer my OK Scupper Pro SOT for week long solo kayak fishing/camping excursions in the Boston Harbor Islands.)

sing

The Sterling Reflection is my “win lotto” boat. I think I am a bit larger than you, so the Reflection is more more size. I am sure you will love it once it arrives.

Thanks, Peter. You can tell that I’ve been on a sort of search for a “unicorn” longish play kayak for awhile. I thought long and hard before committing to the Sterling.

I actually initially found an Aries 150 (composite version of the Delphin) but found that the weight of the Diolon setup was almost as heavy as the RM. Crazy.

I looked around for a CD (Danish designed) Karla but couldn’t locate one. Finally, contact a CD dealer in NH who said it would be a minimum of 18 months.

I also looked for a Valley Gemini SP. No luck with that either. I didn’t bother to contact about import from England given all the shipping and supply line issues.

Anyway,I figure if I am going to order anything, it should conform to my intended performance goals of my preferred venue. Secondly, it should be made in the US if possible. I fully expect the Progression to be my last and only “retirement boat.” (Hence the carbon/kevlar lay-up in anticipation of declining strength/interest in lugging a heavy boat to and from a surf break launch.)

The Progression will take me back full circle to my starting point of surfing sea kayaks initially to develop rough water skills.

sing

1 Like

Without a doubt, the Progession would be the best surfing of the ones you listed.

You’ve probably seen, but in case not - here is some stuff to get you drooling:

Tom Humphries from Neptune’s Rangers has a Reflection and did some awesome stuff with it. Here is one video of him back when he was focusing on backward surfing:

And of course the Hurricane Riders used them for lots of their surfing:

My take on models is that the Progression is a lower volume version of the Reflection, but because it was also created a few years after the reflection, they may have also made some other improvements to the design over the Reflection.

BTW - the Gemini RM I find is so low rocker that it isn’t really a great play boat. My partner has one, as do many other smaller paddlers (5’ and under) as there aren’t a lot of other plastic playful sea kayak choices for very small paddlers. The composite SP does seem to have more rocker than the RM, but I’d definitely want to paddle one before buying to make sure.

I’ve hears a lot of good about the Karla for smaller paddlers. I know a sponsored paddler here who has one, so if you could make it to SF bay area, I could probably hook you up with a test. It was such a squeeze for me to fit my fat butt in that I declined to test on more than flat water for a few minutes - good sign that it would be a smaller paddler boat.

2 Likes

OhMyGosh… Love that video. Thanks. Felt a bit of the stoke there.

Of course, the venue was right for that. No boardies in sight (they hate that kind of stuff).

sing

That’s a sweet looking boat. What kind of layup did you end up ordering? If my financial future was a lot clearer I would be tempted, I’ve turned in to “simple is best” waveski/ SUP - just throw them and a paddle in my car and I’m good. There’s nobody to surf with away from crowds here now, and a SINK is just too much boat to have in areas closer to the Covid Crowds. I got out yesterday AM for what looked like great waves but they just didn’t have enough juice for my waveski, two days earlier I got beat-up pretty badly on my SUP, Mother Ocean in Winter can be kind of moody.

I did finally see a Rockhopper, I think it was a great concept but a lot of folks dove into the niche. Funny to see all those old forum posters again. Time flies and we are all just seafoam in the wind.

That’s some pretty impressive backsurfing.

This just came out. There is a stolen Progression that may hit the market to watch for.

Thanks, Peter. It’s 3meterswells’ Progression. PCom admin may create a lost/stolen page. Hopefully, it’ll be recovered soon. The thief may not know how scarce and noticeable that boat is.

sing