Coping with phone case glare/reflection

Hi all. I use my Samsung A20 in a Cali case for photos and the relive app, whilst paddling. Apart from occasional overheating causing shutdown it works great. However, dealing with the reflection /glare can make taking photos and seeing the screen in sunlight almost impossible. I’ve added an anti-glare screen protector to the phone, and have copied and made a folding sun shield, but this not always practical. does anyone have any other suggestions, I emailed the case manufacturer, but no response. I’ve thought of sticking no reflective film to the case or anti-glare spray, I’m open to any all suggestions.

I always turn the screen brightness up before I head out paddling as it helps a little. But many of my photos are “point and guess” - I just take a lot to make up for it! If I really need to see the screen I will try to get in the shade, even if it’s just the shade from me.

2 Likes

Not just a phone issue, but also an issue with the screens on point and shoot cameras. All little screens can be hard to see in the sun.

Don’t zoom (or zoom less) and take lots of pictures at high resolution, then pick out the decent ones when you get them on your computer and crop them to zoom in closer.

2 Likes

Point and guess - I like that. That’s what I do and it is always a surprise (sometimes a disappointment) to see what comes out.

I took 300 pictures on a trip on Sunday and ended up posting 20 of them. A lot of them are continuous shots of someone running a particular rapid, so I would only use one or two anyway. Unfortunately, a lot of good shots also come out like this:

or this

or this.

Its a bummer when good pictures don’t come out, but the shots come quick and I don’t have time to fuss around with the camera. In low light situations (like the gorge we were in on Sunday) it is especially tough to get good pictures with my camera - Olympus Tough. Water on the lens is also a problem.

Click away, you are bound to get something that is decent.

p.s. - I do agree - zoom less and you are more likely to get a better picture, but I rarely take that advice. :frowning:

I take most of my pics on wide angle and later edit to zoom up on the subject or action. This works very well while paddling.