Craig's Lists finds - a SOF and a Folbot

bet that’s what makes it …
… easy to row…

V8 forehead thump NM

Folbot Super for sale INSPECTION REPORT
I looked at it. It’s a 60’s or 70’s era Super. It was sitting outside, inverted, and hasn’t been disassembled for at least 10 years and some of the wood frames are rotted and must be replaced, and all need to be revarnished; and all the hardware must be seized/corroded. On the bright side, the hull seems OK and, never having been removed from the frame, has avoided the common problem of old Folbot hulls- shrinkage! If U like doing woodwork, it’s a project.

Brazil nuts
looks like a yost wood design

Posted by: Brazilbrasil on Jul-17-08 6:49 AM (EST)

http://www.yostwerks.com/DesignsMenuWood.html

click on Nikumi

Paul

costs about 300 to build and this guy wants 1200???

whaddya nuts?

Why don’t you try building one then ? $1200.00 seems quite fair to me.

I have

– Last Updated: Jul-19-08 5:42 AM EST –

the wooden sea rider. Thnk it cost me less than 200 all told. Just took the skin off (30 dollar walmart canvas) so I can reskin.
That one is the baidarka. (small boat in russian) I have paddled that design with a regular pvc skin. those are fast gear haulers and the volume is way more than I would want and i am not in the market for great looking boats that I would hang on a wall. Besides I don;t have 400 lbs of seal meat to load in it. But that is just me. That skin is more delicate than regular pvc and would need extra care and reskinning a lot more often.

Easy to make, just takes a little time, and the plans are free from Tom Yost.

on Tom's site:

"This information is free to the user. By downloading or using this information
to construct a kayak carries with it the acceptance by the builder / user to all responsibility and liability. Permission is granted to the builder / user to construct one copy of each design for personal use only. Commercial reproduction of the kayaks, plans, or instructions is prohibited."

But if you want to pay someone 1200 bucks for an article that cost 300, please do not let my opinions that this seller is outrageously overcharging for a boat that admittedly does have some initial "wow" value stop you.

Paul

both of you have good points
It would appear that the guy is also asking something for his time in building the kayak and as BB points out, the builder has violated Tom’s requirements.

not sure I agree that both have good
points.

It is either ethical or not

on two different levels.

P

A kayak is worth more than it’s parts…
…, but the designs are intended for personal use only.

Seems not to be a huge violation of that policy to sell a USED kayak built from their designs/plans - price being whatever a buyer will pay like anything else. Bit different than building them to sell new (but room for abuse too).

Presonally, I think guys like Tom Yost and Brian Schultz should charge some resaonable amount for thier designs/plans/info (hey, I’m designer, so naturally I think getting payment for those services is not unreasonable). Pretty easy to put into PDFs and use any number of self publishing sites. Their info is certainly worth it, but doing so probably goes against their personal desire to share openly, and selling plans may make it harder to have zero liability.

Whatever their policies, they’re both assests to the paddling world. Anyone that doesn’t like the limitations is always free to look elsewhere or design their own kayaks.

Greyak
I agree.

quit nitpicking…

oh …wrong thread…

Paul :slight_smile:

a bit late to the discussion,
… but hopefully better late than never. I’m the owner of the clear baidarka that was for sale (and will be again when I repost.)

I feel it’s important to address the questions about fair use restrictions which were raised. Yes, this boat is a derivative of a Yost design, with modified length, beam, bow, and stern to suit my tastes. I built this for my own personal use, not commercial sale. I know I enjoyed paddling it over the winter and spring. I feel selling this single boat for a fair price is ok now that I’ve built a different boat with Brian at Cape Falcon (great guy and great boats!)

Many thanks to Mr Yost for his great ideas and contributions.

As for the price, buying good clear cedar ain’t cheap here in Seattle. Especially when I had to pay someone to rip it because I don’t have a woodshop. Now add in epoxy, the clear vinyl, and the vinyl goop, and the special ordered D ring patches, and the expensive lightweight marine plywood, and a nice snapdragon back band, and the Spiritline float bags I was planning on including. I’d guess $700 just in materials/supplies. Basically I’m asking for a pittance for my time. If anyone thinks building kayaks by hand and selling them for $1200 (fully outfitted) is a quick path to riches, please begin production immediately so that I can purchase your kayaks! :slight_smile:

Last, to poke a bit of fun at myself- i CLEARLY did overprice a bit since I haven’t sold it yet! Guilty as charged.

cheers,

paul

that SOF
is really nice. perfect dimensions and shape.

Good job Paul
Appears to be beautiful work

Hey Paul
great response.

course you could just give it to me?

Paul

Capella
That one sounds like a steal at $600 if in good condition.

Welfare for Paddlers Forum now…
:slight_smile:

I will give any and all kayaks
a good home.

Paul

Selling Yostwerks Kayaks for profit
Hi Paul,

I just saw this thread as I don’t spend much time on this forum. I agree that you have every right to sell one of my boats, as long as it doesn’t become a profit making habit…per my disclaimer. What ever happened to your Sea Tour 15 ?

Recently, I have been tracking Craiglist nationally to see if a “Commercial” trend is developing. So far, so good.

My original intent was to give back to the sport by providing plans, instructions, designs and way too much email assistance for free. In an ideal world, you and other sellers would ask only that your costs were recouped… but I know that is unrealistic.

$1200.00 for the Nikumi seems a bit excessive to me, when compared to the recent Craigslist “Sea Ranger” posting below…

http://allentown.craigslist.org/spo/814399106.html

Perhaps when you do sell the Nikumi you could split the profits with me as a gesture of good will :slight_smile: Just kidding, but I have received such offers in the past.

If and when I conclude that my efforts are being taken commercial advantage of, I’ll permanently pull the plug on my website… In a Heartbeat.

Regards,

Tom