Crank up that Vitamin D!

Who better to do that than outdoor people? It anecdotally protects against C19, European Docs report.
Nude paddling anyone?
Forgot I said that. I do not want to see any more than I have of my paddling friends.

1 Like

Nude paddling isnā€™t safe. Wear your PFD! There, I fixed your proposal to increase Vitamin D.

1 Like

Do you have a dermatologist ?

1 Like

At our age that may automatically enforce social distancingā€¦ :mask:

4 Likes

Kh, you are correct.
Os, yes I saw be my dermatologist 2 days ago. The blisters on my head are starting to dry.

2 Likes

Vitamin D is a common thing to be short of after 60 years. Among other things it assists calcium absorption in bonesā€¦or so my doc says. I suggest vitamin pills. For the " D" . Go in the sun for fun.

Use sun screen.

1 Like

My wife has vitamin D capsules so I started them this morning. Then I sat in the sun as long as I thought practical with my shirt off.
Paddling tomorrow!

1 Like

We paddled the Edisto one summer with a Doc we had met in Florida. She had protective clothing head to toe. We stopped for lunch and she asked " Anyone want to go skinny dipping?"
The silence was a bit awkward until a guy said ā€œThereā€™s been nothing skinny about this body for years!ā€
She probably saw naked people all the time, but not us.

2 Likes

Good decision. Research in Italy indicated a strong relationship between low D3 levels and Covid-19 mortality rates.

Living in a northern latitude, Iā€™ve taken a D3 supplement for years. Even in the summer since I rarely wear short sleeves and when paddling, always wear a wide brimmed hat and a long sleeve UV protective rashguard.

Great that youā€™re paddling tomorrow. Enjoy!

2 Likes

We used to paddle naked often. Polar bear club every morning. We used to backpack without clothes.
I just had my third skin cancer surgery in the last 6 weeks.
Two were for melanoma on my face.
Sun protection is not funny. Sun screen helps, but the best thing is clothing. Pay attention to your hands and face, ears a especially and the top of your head.
Paddling on the water can really expose people to a lot of sun, especially on a long trip. Be careful out there.

2 Likes

Amen Bro!

2 Likes

Reality is that the majority of people on this board have probably already been told to take supplemental vitamin D, especially women, due to age. And bone density and lots of stuff.

And as above after a few decades of exposure it might be safer to take the pill than to sunbathe to get it.

Ppineā€¦Nude back packingā€¦skeeters must have liked you.

1 Like

I hope there were no chiggers

1 Like

You mean ā€œred bugsā€?

1 Like

I was afraid that name wouldnā€™t translate for our northern paddlers.

2 Likes

In drier country like the Sierra Nevada, mosquitoes have a short season. In the Cascades and the Rockies that are prominent early in the year in May and June and taper off by late July.

Got the last of the stitches out of my face today.
You won;t see me sunbathing ever again.

Nude paddling is sometimes referred to as ā€˜canudingā€™. Me and my naturist friends go ā€˜canudingā€™ as often as we can, even nude camping when the opportunity is available. BTW, the opposite of ā€˜skinny dippingā€™ would be ā€˜chunky dunkingā€™!

Down heah , there are far too many flying blood suckers to offer that much flesh. It would take a gallon of Deet to survive a day.