Crashing Waves - River Surfing

Thought I was going to get waves today… But, it went flat. :frowning:

I get a bit envious of the west coast surfing scene. Just as likely, west coast surfers may envy the North Shore of Oahu. The Great Lake surfers may envy east coast Atlantic surfers.

But, then you have these folks…

Good for them in finding and enjoying the stoke in the way they do. :slight_smile:

Mahalo!

sing

1 Like

When my son was in graduate school at the University of Montreal, he met a woman who worked at a nature center on the river and had always wanted to surf. When I visited the three of us signed up for a surf lesson with one of her friends. I have surfed a bit on rivers in kayaks, but on a surfboard when you wipe out in the rapid it’s like being flushed down the toilet for 1/4 mile, and then you have to find a spot to climb out the steep high river banks and hike back to the launching spot. I was not very good at it, and only got a few rides in an entire morning. My son’s girl friend as not the worlds greatest swimmer as we discovered and she got swept out into the main channel of the river on her board … my son managed to paddle out and get her back, but the locals had called the equivalent of 911 … the police rescue squad was watching as we got her out of the river. A memorable day with not much surfing . I do recommend trying it if you are ever there in the summer. In the winter no thanks. I’ve lived near the arctic circle in Norway, and Monteal can be just as cold. It was perfectly flat hereon Friday morning, the Pacific was as calm as a mountain lake (with a few large rollers every now and then), I went for a 4 mile paddle on my short surf SUP, and after several months of no SUP, my arms and core and back are letting me know I’m not in good shape today.

Wow. That’s quite the scenario. Definitely can see it happening with a newbie, given the width of that river! My other thought was what about some partially submerged branch or log that gets lodged in the downstream rapids… What if an ankle leash runs into and gets hung up? I guess the down current rapids get scouted (or should be) as one would do white water running with a kayak.

sing

I envy anyone who has sunshine and warmth.

Surf at Lake Tahoe was 2-4 feet yesterday. There is a club that regularly rides those waves.
I would rather surf behind a big boat.

There are I think about five spots that are surfed regularly. One is right in front of a high rise condo in downtown Montreal. Corran Addison lived here for a long time, (he may have moved back I do not know) lots of videos of him surfing the different breaks. There are two breaks with impressive large waves, much bigger than in the video you posted, (maybe due to water levels?), pretty scary looking to me to be surfing in all that moving water over rocks on board.

1 Like

Wonder what intervals (periods) for those 2-4’ waves? Without significant fetch, have think steep, challenging short period waves.

Yes, forgot about tanker wake surfing. Huge in Puget Sound and Galveston Bay. This “discipline” seems purely for kayakers (hard to chase down a tanker wake, unless being towed).

sing

Haven’t heard a peep about Corran Addison in recent years. Got to assume that he is still hitting it if he is alive. Once an adrenaline junkie…

sing

Alone the line of - “If it ain’t frozen, you can surf it!”

Aloha!:love_you_gesture:

sing

1 Like

A surfing brah in Lake Ontario. “I wish I knew about (winter surfing) when I was younger…”

Aloha! :love_you_gesture:

sing

And another tribe of winter wave riders. Far away but we stoke on the same energy wave… :slight_smile: :love_you_gesture:

Cowabunga!

sing