Creekin' near Pymo' ?

Anyone know of anything cl III or less within an hour or so of Pymotuning Reservoir? That area should have good water levels 'till Saturday anyway and as long as I’m in the area this weekend…? Maybe a quick day trip for the Midwest Chapter of D-heads?

Waidaminut, isn’t the Slip…
less than an hour away?

Wish there was a class II near Pymo??

– Last Updated: Jul-11-06 2:34 PM EST –

or any moving water at all. That way I could take the boys. Maybe someone knows of something that way.

But, and I'm just throwing this out here, what about the Slip on Sunday after the Pymo camper?

I possibly could take the boys home, pick up the Supernova and head back up to the Slip.

If it’s too much for the boys,
it’s too much for me. I think they’re better paddlers than I.

Doc

I’ve heard of…
Pymo Creek, I think here…and I think the WPa area has a bunch of I-III canoe-able creeks (Tionesta, Canoe Cr., etc.). Gotta be a local who can help us by the time it’s time to pack gear.

If we can find something a little milder
… up near Pymotuming, we could all partake.

What about the French Creek?

Wasn’t there
something in the last Pymo thread about an impassable creek - too many strainers to get through?

Doc

yea, that was the Shenango
I’m thinking the French Creek could be the answer. I’ve never paddled it but it is supposed to be interesting. I’ve viewed it closely frame by frame on the Terraserver and the upper sections are pretty twisty with oxbow lakes and such. It is supposed to be one of the most biologically diverse streams in the country and very clean as well. It used to flow north into Lake Erie before the last ice age. Now it flows south into the Allegheny.

It’s about three inches above recommended minumum right now and the weather forcast is for heavy rain up to 2 inches tomorrow night.

French Creek virtual trip

– Last Updated: Jul-11-06 3:16 PM EST –

Here is a Terraserver link to the French Creek at Cambridge Springs. The old Canoable Streams of Western PA shows a trip from Cambridge Springs to Saegertown which looks like about 8 miles.

The creek flows from right to left (east to west) in the link below. Keep clicking the arrows to travel downstream.

http://tinyurl.com/kelr7

Class II-III on French Creek? Nah!
At least above Custaloga Town Scout Camp. Not sure between there and the Allegheny @ Franklin but can’t imagine it’s much different than the upstream portions. Used to take the scouts from Lake LeBeouf to camp (3 days with kids) and it has varied types of paddling and scenery but nothing that would give you a thrill ride. The only fast water on the Allegheny that I can think of is @ Oil City between the “Y” railroad bridge and the Petoleum St bridge (+/- 1/4 mile).

The Shenango from Pymatuning to just upsteam of Greenville is rumored to be one long strainer. From Greenville/Reynolds/Greencrest Park to the reservoir is a nice paddle but no thrill ride.

What about below the reservoir? Used to play in it as a little kid but that was many years before the dam was built.

Class II-III on French Creek? Nah!
At least above Custaloga Town Scout Camp. Not sure between there and the Allegheny @ Franklin but can’t imagine it’s much different than the upstream portions. Used to take the scouts from Lake LeBeouf to camp (3 days with kids) and it has varied types of paddling and scenery but nothing that would give you a thrill ride. The only fast water on the Allegheny that I can think of is @ Oil City between the “Y” railroad bridge and the Petoleum St bridge (+/- 1/4 mile).

The Shenango from Pymatuning to just upsteam of Greenville is rumored to be one long strainer. From Greenville/Reynolds/Greencrest Park to the reservoir is a nice paddle but no thrill ride.

What about below the reservoir? Used to play in it as a little kid but that was many years before the dam was built.

agreed, I was throwing the French Creek
… out as a moving water alternative to pure lake paddling. I can never seem to stick with the original topic!

FWIW, I’ve crossed the French
& it looked very quiet in those two sections. I’d rather paddle the reservoir & save gas!

ok then

– Last Updated: Jul-11-06 8:33 PM EST –

... forget I mentioned it! It's just that I haven't been on a creek in sooo looong. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Tionesta…
is probably low at this time. I can’t find the gauge for it near Lynch PA, just the Tionesta reservoir. Mostly it’s a spring time creek for running it with a canoe. Of course heavy rain could bring it up enough to make it interesting…

Looks like
you’ve been out surfing in your Malecite. Death wish?

Doc

no
I don’t try to surf the really big ones, smaller ones yea, on occasion.

there is a guaging station at Lynch
… but I could never find reported readings. Pretty much if the Clarion is running strong, the Tionesta is runnable. Nice little creek but it’s a hike from Pymotuming.

Yeah, that would …
be a drive from Pymo. They used to have a gauge at Lynch but I’m thinking that it was one of the ones that got the “axe” across the state.