Critique my Wet Entry

I read, on another thread, to not hook my paddle under my deck bunnies, that this can snap the bungies. I was taught to do this 10 years ago. I was also taught to get my leg up onto the paddle, but I rarely see this in YouTube videos. What could I be doing better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRm0g7dlfOs&feature=youtu.be

In the 2nd attempt I initially failed to get back on the rear deck, the paddle swung into the boat, reducing the lever which started a capsize. I guess I can prevent that by using my arm to prevent it.

Also, the boat would capsize when I tried to put my leg in the boat to hold the boat while inflating the paddle float. I tried twice and it went over twice, no video sadly.

Three things I see immediately, and note that there are variations on the paddle float re-entry so some people may have different comments based on the technique they learned and/or use.

1. WAY too much pressure on the middle of the paddle shaft. I was cringing waiting for it to snap! Yes, use it for support but you’re still trying to be balanced on the boat with minimal pressure on the paddle and float. Use the foot you’ve hooked over the paddle down near the float to get your body to the surface then pull your body up onto the boat like you’re doing a horizontal chin-up.
  2. Switch sides and instead of trying to crawl into the cockpit, get yourself up onto the rear deck then turn around and enter the cockpit feet first.
  3. Have a very specific and rehearsed sequence of movements and placements for each of your hands and feet. Do it the same way every time until you’ve got it down pat.

There are lots of good videos to watch on YouTube. There are also some crappy ones. I don’t have time to select one but I suspect there will be one below shortly after I write this.

On a related note, I think it’s GREAT when people take the initiative to practice and refine their self-rescues. Accept my virtual handshake for your efforts. KEEP AT IT and don’t give up. Practice makes permanent, so make sure you’re practicing the right thing!

I was first taught the paddle float reentry and did it once. I decided it would not work for me in conditions that would cause a capsize. Much easier if there is another boat with you for an assisted reentry.
I would say the best is a reenter and roll up. This would work in conditions and time spent learning it would be worth while. Then work that into bomb proof roll.
Congrats for improving your skills.

The paddle float is still use full for many other things and should be carried.

What grayhawk said. Re-enter and roll is the easiest, most reliable way to get back in… once you have a roll. Failing that; when I was doing paddle float self rescues I would:

1. Inflate the float and secure the paddle under the bunjies behind the cockpit.
  2. Put my back to the paddle shaft; left hand on the paddle; right hand on coaming far side.
  3. Put my feet in the boat
  4. Push on the paddle, pull on the coaming and hoist my butt into the boat.

It may work better for you with the right hand on the paddle and the left on the coaming. Just have to try and see. (It’s been so long I couldn’t swear if I grabbed the coaming with my right or left hand.)

Guys, let’s be real here. It’s takes most people a long time to get their roll to the point where they’re comfortable entering their boat upside down and rolling up.

In the meantime, and for whatever reason (exhaustion, for one) other methods have failed, the paddle float is a very good thing to have and know how to properly use.

If no one else posts a link to a YouTube video showing PROPER technique before long I’ll go searching when I’m not busy at work.

@Sparky961 said:
Guys, let’s be real here. It’s takes most people a long time to get their roll to the point where they’re comfortable entering their boat upside down and rolling up.

In the meantime, and for whatever reason (exhaustion, for one) other methods have failed, the paddle float is a very good thing to have and know how to properly use.

If no one else posts a link to a YouTube video showing PROPER technique before long I’ll go searching when I’m not busy at work.

I’ve posted this before and link it again. This heel hook entry works. Demonstrated by an ACA L4 instructor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIW-rQtqVQ

1 Like

I agree with what Sparky said about climbing up on the back deck, instead of over the cockpit. It did look like once you got up you raised your body a bit, and I think that was due to being right over the cockpit. Lifting your body decreases balance, so the more you can do with your chest lying on the back deck, the less likelihood of a flip while trying to rescue. Being further back should let you spin without lifting to get your legs in.

You do seem to do a slow climb as you try to get on. You put your leg up and then move your body upward on the bait, If it works when you need it, that is great. But you may also want to try a bit more of a lunge. You have the paddle float on the paddle and use one hand to hold the paddle shaft and the rear of the cockpit combing. The other hand is reaching across the kayak for your rear deck line on the other side. Float your legs up toward the surface behind you so your body is as flat as you can get it (kind of like a superman position). In one motion, kick with your feet (as if you were swimming forward) and pull the boat under your chest. The goal is to get far enough up that you are relatively balanced, and can then put a leg onto the paddle float to finish off the balance. If you get good at this, you can sip the apddlefloat and move right on to a cowboy scramble.

@NotThePainter said:

Also, the boat would capsize when I tried to put my leg in the boat to hold the boat while inflating the paddle float. I tried twice and it went over twice, no video sadly.

It should capsize. Don’t right the kayak before you are ready to enter it. Until then it is better to keep it capsized. Less waves will wash in, and if you make a mistake and lose the grip in the boat (which your really, really shouldn’t) so it starts drifting aways from you because of the wind, a capsized boat will drift much slower, so you will have a chance to catch it again.

Regarding paddle under deck lines:
The video posted by Rookie is very good example of how to do it right. He only puts the paddle under the far deck line, and grips the near deck line and the paddle shaft with his hand. So he doesn’t risk breaking the paddle shaft or snapping a deck line (unless he had incredibly strong fingers…).

The video is showing a heel hook reentry, but the paddle can be held in the same way in the classic paddlefloat reentry - except of course that you will be positioned behind the paddle instead of forward of it.

On the boat capsizing when putting a leg in to hold it, it doesn’t have to capsized if you are on your back and holding it lightly. It is a necessary moment for the heel hook version. That said, l generally am doing that while the boat is still upside down.

The reentry and roll technique, especially with a partially inflated paddle float (tho there are issues w that) is quite variable. It comes easily for some and is a great technique. So everyone should try it. I don’t happen to be one that it works so easily for. But for others it works well.

The biggest problem with reenter and roll, paddle float or not, is that you’re left with enough water in the boat to make it unstable. That’s the major benefit of the other methods where you get the chance to empty the boat first. It doesn’t make much difference with a loaded boat though, as you’re foolish to even attempt to empty it prior to reentry.

I’m no expert but one thing I noticed that sounds minor but is important. On the 1st reentry, you aren’t holding on to your boat while setting up your paddle float. Practice NEVER letting go of your boat. Think about where you would be in just a few seconds in a 15kt wind if the paddle slips out of the bungies. Your boat is gone and you aren’t catching up with it as the wizard said “no way, no how”.

@l2t said:
On the 1st reentry, you aren’t holding on to your boat while setting up your paddle float.

I didn’t catch that. Very good point indeed. With good technique this is accomplished by leaving (or flipping) the boat upside down and sticking a leg in the cockpit, or using both legs to grip it if conditions dictate.

I have pretty much learned this, though I’ll add that since I always have a tow/rescue setup ready to go I’ll clip onto a deck line when I’m in the water to avoid any potential separation. When I’m ready to get back in, I’ll unclip so that I don’t get snagged.

^^ the above video is the best self rescue guide I have seen. Short, straight to the point, no annoying music, concise clear narration, multiple camera angles, repeated main points. Just textbook production…

The first thing I noticed in your video is that you’re making the classic beginner’s mistake of trying to haul your body vertically out of the water. That’s way too strenuous and puts way too much pressure on the paddle, whether you hook your leg on it or not. What you should be doing is kicking your legs to the surface so your body is horizontal, then with one quick motion, you pull yourself across the aft deck. With this method, you’re only lifting your body a matter of a few inches, which is easy to do and puts very little pressure on the paddle.

All that said, I agree with Grayhawk. The traditional paddle float rescue only works on relatively calm water, where you’re not all that likely to capsize. It’s worthless in any “real” conditions where a capsize is more likely. A paddle-float-assisted reenter and roll is a better alternative if you don’t know how to roll, as you can execute it without going upside-down or even putting your head underwater.

Better than all of these options are:

1. Don’t paddle alone and practice assisted rescues with your paddling partner(s). Assisted rescues are faster and more foolproof.
  2. Learn to roll, so the likelihood of coming out of your boat is greatly reduced. Rolling is a “gateway skill” that dramatically changes your approach to paddling…for the better!

Thanks everybody for all the advice! We’re going camping this weekend and I’ll be practicing some then for certain.

@Sparky961 said:

1. WAY too much pressure on the middle of the paddle shaft. I was cringing waiting for it to snap! Yes, use it for support but you’re still trying to be balanced on the boat with minimal pressure on the paddle and float. Use the foot you’ve hooked over the paddle down near the float to get your body to the surface then pull your body up onto the boat like you’re doing a horizontal chin-up.

You can actually see it bend!

You can see me trying to get my leg up and failing twice, then I used my arm and it worked. Of course what works isn’t always the best and on the 2nd attempt video I went straight for the arm to lift me. I really like your analogy of a horizontal chin-up, that’s perfect.

1. Have a very specific and rehearsed sequence of movements and placements for each of your hands and feet. Do it the same way every time until you’ve got it down pat.

I like this, repetition breeds familiarity and that leads to success under adverse conditions.

On a related note, I think it’s GREAT when people take the initiative to practice and refine their self-rescues. Accept my virtual handshake for your efforts. KEEP AT IT and don’t give up. Practice makes permanent, so make sure you’re practicing the right thing!

This made my day, thanks!

@several people
renter and roll

Someday. I do want to learn rolling but baby steps. As for the float not being too useful under adverse conditions my plan, at least for now, is to not be in adverse conditions. I really doubt I’ll ever capsize where I paddle now. But, with that said, I’d rather practice when it doesn’t matter and yeah, unexpected things happen. I was recused by a harbor master last year and one of his crew was the guy that taught me. He looked right at me and said, “Where’s your paddle float?” “At home in the shed” was my lame reply.

@Rex said:

1. Inflate the float and secure the paddle under the bunjies behind the cockpit.
  2. Put my back to the paddle shaft; left hand on the paddle; right hand on coaming far side.
  3. Put my feet in the boat
  4. Push on the paddle, pull on the coaming and hoist my butt into the boat.

I’m liking this but the heel hook method in the video looks really promising. Thats @Rookie!

@Peter-CA
Lifting your body decreases balance, so the more you can do with your chest lying on the back deck, the less likelihood of a flip while trying to rescue. Being further back should let you spin without lifting to get your legs in.

That’s a really good explanation!

You do seem to do a slow climb as you try to get on. You put your leg up and then move your body upward on the bait, If it works when you need it, that is great. But you may also want to try a bit more of a lunge

I found it exhausting, the slow was to catch my breathe. That one reason the heel hook method looks great, the first youtube comment says it is easier!

@“Allan Olesen” and others

capsize, hold onto the boat, etc…

I really tried to maintain contact with the boat. I wish we had video of it, it must be comical. I retrieve the paddle float, get on my back, put the leg and the boats instantly capsizes. I would have loved to see the look on my face. So I tried again, and of course it did. I remembered the leg inside from youtube, probably even the heel hook video, I just forgot to do it while the boat was upside down. And yes, that makes sense, while it is upside down it can’t take on more water!

The real funny thing is when it happened the second time I was actually thinking, hey, my friends at paddling.com will be able to help me with this!

@Sparky961

I’ll add that since I always have a tow/rescue setup ready to go I’ll clip onto a deck line when I’m in the water to avoid any potential separation

Neat idea. I don’t use a paddle leash since I’m almost always using a Greenland paddle. (I left it at home this day so I had to use my spare Euro paddle which stays in the truck.) But I can keep my leash attached to the boat and just clip it on, just in case.

@bnystrom

The first thing I noticed in your video is that you’re making the classic beginner’s mistake of trying to haul your body vertically out of the water. That’s way too strenuous and puts way too much pressure on the paddle, whether you hook your leg on it or not.

And way too strenuous on me! Yes, perfect observation.

1. Don’t paddle alone and practice assisted rescues with your paddling partner(s). Assisted rescues are faster and more foolproof.

I not paddled alone in a long time, I used to do sunsets every night in the Provincetown harbor but @Lillyflowers and I almost always go out together. I keep on saying that I’ll walk down to the river in the early mornings before work but it’s just too cold to do that and I’m lazy. (And I can stand in the river so it isn’t a big deal…)

1. Learn to roll, so the likelihood of coming out of your boat is greatly reduced. Rolling is a “gateway skill” that dramatically changes your approach to paddling…for the better!

I certainly plan on doing this, I might try and get a pool session this winter. I need a skirt first though. Then I build my skin boat and my throwing stick…

This must be where I was the leg in with the boat upright.

https://youtu.be/_LLNATL6BdQ?t=38

And he’s doing it with a cetus, my boat! But still, I like the upside version better.

@NotThePainter

Jeremy Vore’s heel hook rescue IS much easier than the standard version. Try it in waist deep water first, then move into deeper water once you’re comfortable with the technique.

Legs are stronger than arms and while doing recent assisted rescue practice, that was the mantra: use the heel hook to re-enter the cockpit.

As to not paddling alone, for some that would result in never paddling at all.

@Rookie said:
@NotThePainter

Jeremy Vore’s heel hook rescue IS much easier than the standard version. Try it in waist deep water first, then move into deeper water once you’re comfortable with the technique.

Thanks, I’ll do that first. In my video I could actually stand but didn’t, I was kicking my legs to not stand. But yeah, I’ll try shallow first. I hate cold water and the ponds here (NH, USA) are really warm this year, I’m loving it.

@NotThePainter said:

@Peter-CA
You do seem to do a slow climb as you try to get on. You put your leg up and then move your body upward on the bait, If it works when you need it, that is great. But you may also want to try a bit more of a lunge

I found it exhausting, the slow was to catch my breathe. That one reason the heel hook method looks great, the first youtube comment says it is easier!

When I teach it, I break the paddle float rescue into 3 parts, with rest stops (where everything is under control and you can stop and think and catch your breath between them).

The first step is when you flip over. You exit the upside down boat(and unlike the video above - leave it upside down), and then put one leg back in the cockpit. You place your paddle so it floats between you and the boat. Your PFD supports you, your leg connects you to the boat, your paddle is captured by being between you and the boat, and your hands are free. This is rest stop number 1.

After this, you can get your paddle float and place on paddle and inflate (all while your leg is still in the boat, holding you to the the boat). Once paddle is ready, you remove your foot and flip boat upright and place paddle bade on back deck. You then do the lunge and get your body far enough up on back deck, chest on blade to hold it down, and leg on float. Adjust yourself so you feel balanced and relaxed (most people need to shimmy up a bit - head father over the other side to get this balance), and this is rest stop number 2. You are now out of the water, so resting for a bit of time here is fine (you aren’t losing heat to the water) . So you have time to rest after putting the effort toward the back deck lunge.

From this point on, you must keep weight on the paddle float, or you likely will fall in the other side. If the paddle float comes out of the water, you aren’t putting weight on it (this happens a few times in the northseakayak video above). Leg on stern side is placed on shaft and leg on bow side is moved into cockpit. Then hand on stern side is swung around to reach the paddle shaft under your thigh/knee and put weight on shaft, so second leg can be moved into cockpit. After this move your head should be kind of aimed toward stern and your legs in the cockpit, and your are face down with chest on paddle blade. The last move is to spin your butt down into the seat, and to do that, you take the hand that was on the bow side (the one that hasn’t yet been used to hold on to the paddle) under your body and over to push down on the paddle shaft. Doing this spins you, so your butt can drop into the seat and you sit upright.

I don’t place the paddle under deck lines (or straps that some boats have), because not all boats have them (and not even all of the boats in the fleets that I teach with have them).

The heel hook can be used to make the process of getting your body up on the boat easier. It uses leg muscles more. Much easier for someone with weaker upper body. That said, I personally don’t teach heal hook for paddle float. I’ve done it a few times, but am not as comfortable with the process to be able to teach it (particularly given what Is aid before about lack of deck lines on some boats). I do teach and use heel hook in the T-rescue.

This is developing into a fabulous thread! Thanks to all who contribute such well articulated and experienced comments! :slight_smile: