Crossing Canadian Border and back

I did some precursory investigations into paddling the Pend Oreille up into CA then back down into US on Columbia, and it didn’t seem promising as far as customs/permission.

The Great Lakes Cruising Club sent out a memo last week warning members about recent Canadian Coast Guard enforcement. Several private fishing boats wandered across the border in separate events, were heavily fined and sent packing back to the US.

Keep in mind that strict enforcement and steep fines for crossing the border between Canada and the US without going through customs are not new or only due to the pandemic. Crossing the border from the US to Canada on the water may require contacting customs by phone or VHF, although last I checked they were in the process of doing away with this requirement. This is not required on the US side. However, if you set foot on land across the border you must deal with customs as soon as possible. When crossing the border by land or water you need to have a valid passport or enhanced driving license. It is a good idea to have proof of citizenship if you are anywhere near the border, even if you do not cross it. Be aware that if you have ever been convicted of certain serious crimes you are not allowed to cross the border at all.

Current pandemic restrictions prohibit US or foreign nationals from even crossing the border on the water, even if they do not touch land in Canada.

There are other requirements depending on the size of the boat and what you are allowed to bring with you that are too numerous to go into here, but after the pandemic ends be sure to do your research. Accurate charts are a must to determine where the border is and what islands are in what country.

The pandemic restrictions are changing on a daily basis up here so most of us don’t know what we are allowed to do anymore.

Josh, It is still a big deal here.

That stinks! Hope it clears up soon.

How about we let the fully vaccinated folks move around a little. I’ll still wear a mask if it makes them feel better, even after vax, fine. But to completely disallow entry regardless of vaccination or quarantine? Dumb. Or not dumb, but overly risk adverse to the point of being flawed logic.

Im over the pandemic. Get vaccinated, get on with life as usual (in that order).

Looks like things are headed that way, with Europe (among others) recently announcing they will be doing that.

Good idea to go elsewhere for now, but do come up to Gananoque and the 1000 Islands when this is all over. You’ll love it. We’ll be waiting for you.

And many of us Canadians will probably head south on paddling trips too. :grinning:

Meanwhile, yeah it sucks that we’re in a more critical 3rd wave (no pun intended).

Nova Scotia just entirely shut down for two weeks. 96 cases. As the Canadian provincial governments seem to react decisively and with no nonsense for what seems to be relatively few cases, I am not anticipating ever being able to go back in my lifetime. And that sucks when I can almost see Canada from my house ( 60 miles) Increasingly it seems likely this will never be over. Its here to stay

Yes, people who are trying to convince themselves that it is becoming (or is already) “safe” to eschew masks and public health protocols are not being realistic about the emergence and spread of the mutated versions of the virus, which are more virulent and may eventually be vaccine immune, especially if too many people continue to headlessly “share spit” and aid the virus in having more time and volume to mutate further.

Canada, or any other country, gets to make their own best choices. I am fully vaccinated, 7 weeks past my second shot, but this new virus had a year to freely mutate before the vaccines were available. We made remarkable progress on the vaccines. But a year is a year and it will take a first booster to play catch up with the variations.

I would love to go to the dude ranch in Alberta again, soon, but IMO Canada is right about remaining vigilant for now. All they have to do is look across the border at Michigan.

In many countries facing a third wave, even if they let you in the options to do anything will be constrained. I am not trying overseas until 2022 because I don’t see it being worth the cost until then. Also need to see how the most recent advice from the CDC works out. They are saying no masks outdoors as venues are increasing density. Someone could just say they had been vaccinated and have one of the couple variants that the vaccines don’t handle.

Perhaps because of being in a state bordering Canada and with dual citizenship neighbors, I don’t find Canada’s precautions surprising. Just constraining and understandably so.

There are a lot of problems when a once in a century pandemic arrives while someone is no longer young, with years ahead that you don’t have to think about yet. Last I knew we didn’t get to plan these things.

Glad you are over it.

Too bad the virus isn’t.

If you’re vaccinated and wear a mask you are not a risk to greater society. Rules should reflect that reality. Mask + Vaccine = Pandemic over (in wealthy countries at least)

1 Like

Perhaps the resistance in the US to having a secure proof of vaccination is not helping. It’s easy for people to claim that they are vaccinated when they are not and fake vaccination cards are plentiful on the internet.

Hmm, apparently some do still want to cross the border.

“The documents say Plante, who also goes by the name Joseph Sylvain Tommy Plante, has no immigration or criminal history but does have mental health issues.”

Guys like this could have possibly become famous in the old days… a well known mountain man etc. Today, not so much. Orange Kayak… bad call.

The CDC says…

“The risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people cannot be completely eliminated as long as there is continued community transmission of the virus. Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others.”

I think I’ll continue to play it safe.

That would be an awesome trip, but I guess after Covid. We have trailer camped at Wellesley many times. Took the boat trip out of Alexandria Bay to see the sights. There is a strong current in the river. We were going to kayak in Eel bay at the park but then it poured. Normally you probably wouldn’t have any problems doing your trip. You could register online. Many locals zip back and forth without trouble.

Just saying I think we can do noth safely