Crossing South Carolina by river, "Broad River to Congaree river to Cooper River".

We are planning a extended (9day/245mile) trip across SC, starting at 99 Island Boat Landing on the Broad River taking it to Columbia. From there the river changes Name to Congaree river where we will be taking it into the Santee Lakes and out the Cooper River into the Charleston Harbor and get picked up at Melton Peter Demetre Park, on James Island. We are figuring for about 30miles a day with every 3rd night being at a campground to restock on water and a nice hot shower, lol. We will be taking 3 Mad River adventure canoes one will just be a tow behind with gear. Any advice or suggestions about anything would be awesome.

Those lakes can get really rough very quickly so keep a good watch on the weather.
A few years ago, three guys paddled from the Upstate to Charleston in kayaks. 300 miles in 10 days.

@string said:
Those lakes can get really rough very quickly so keep a good watch on the weather.
A few years ago, three guys paddled from the Upstate to Charleston in kayaks. 300 miles in 10 days.

Thank you.

Get rid of the extra gear and tow behind canoe. It will be hard enough going through the lakes avoiding “land mines” , aka stumps, without an unmanned liability towing behind.

Lake Marion can have a seven Mile fetch and serious waves. Waves that sunk my brother in law’s power boat.

@Overstreet said:
Get rid of the extra gear and tow behind canoe. It will be hard enough going through the lakes avoiding “land mines” , aka stumps, without an unmanned liability towing behind.

Lake Marion can have a seven Mile fetch and serious waves. Waves that sunk my brother in law’s power boat.

Thank you, you make a very good point about the tow behind.

I’ve done Lake Marion to Lake Moultrie, through the lock, down the Cooper River, through Charleston bay, and up the Ashely River in a 21 foot power boat. We, my wife and I and a bunch of friends in our 12 boat armada, spent the weekend and then did the same route on return. The part that sticks out in my memory is how incredibly rough the water was on Lake Moultrie and Marion. Even with a V-hull boat and running slow, it was pretty nasty. The guys in flat bottom ski boats took a real beating. So, the wind fetch across those lakes is serious. The river sections were very nice.

@TreeA10 said:
I’ve done Lake Marion to Lake Moultrie, through the lock, down the Cooper River, through Charleston bay, and up the Ashely River in a 21 foot power boat. We, my wife and I and a bunch of friends in our 12 boat armada, spent the weekend and then did the same route on return. The part that sticks out in my memory is how incredibly rough the water was on Lake Moultrie and Marion. Even with a V-hull boat and running slow, it was pretty nasty. The guys in flat bottom ski boats took a real beating. So, the wind fetch across those lakes is serious. The river sections were very nice.

Thank you, Do you think it would help to stay close to the shore line and not try to cut straight a crossed?

Yes , it would. When I was young some guys were paddling a canoe there when a storm caught them. The canoe was the only survivor.
You need to get advice from some people who are regularly out there.

So does a Mad River Adventure canoe have a “spray skirt”, (sea kayaker asking question)

Do you have any rough water experience?

Does your schedule include contingency time to await weather?

@Overstreet said:
So does a Mad River Adventure canoe have a “spray skirt”, (sea kayaker asking question)

Do you have any rough water experience?

Does your schedule include contingency time to await weather?

No, they do not have a spray skirt, as for extra time we will be taking 14 days off work so we should be able to wait out bad weather if need be. When it comes to rough water experience, Yes, I do have a little white water experience, however that is in a raft and not a canoe.

Whitewater and open water waves are different of course. But manageable. Quartering and “pooping” waves can get you from behind when you think things are fine.

@Overstreet said:
Whitewater and open water waves are different of course. But manageable. Quartering and “pooping” waves can get you from behind when you think things are fine.

True, might come out safer with the kids to just drive around the lower lake and put back in on the Copper

@Tequilasin said:

@Overstreet said:

True, might come out safer with the kids to just drive around the lower lake and put back in on the Copper

Good idea.

mr adventurer canoe is a bit small for what you are wanting to do, thus the tow canoe. I’d ditch one of adventurer canoes for something larger- like a tripper or blue hole and thus eliminate the need for a tow canoe. The built in seats in the adventurer are bit high, if you get chop on the lakes you need to leave room to kneel in front of the seats. You also might want to add some tie in points. I bought d rings with a vinyl backing and just liquid nailed them in. If you have to do any portaging the adventurer is not set up for it. Consider a set of wheels. Sounds like a great trip, I’m jealous! A.Pic of “portaging” the adventurer. canoe.