Crossing state lines in these days of AIS: what are your real-life experiences?

I have had minimal hassles about invasive species. Checks have gone quickly. They have always just skipped cleaning/spraying my boat. If I’m boating in wyoming or idaho I get my sticker before my trip. They both require an invasive species permit and I have been checked while out paddling. The place I was most careful was after Caddo lake texas. It has some exotic plants from south america. I have a clean-drain-dry sticker on the back of the rv and try to spray my boat down after some but not all locations. Unfortunately the hose on the rv is low pressure and often there is no hose or waterline where I am taking out so it hard to do a good job every time.

1 Like

Every place I have been makes you wash out your boat using facilities next to the inspection area if it is not dry. With zebra mussel territory I leave some water in the cockpit and put a few tea spoons some bleach in, cover it, transport, and empty on site in the gravel or asphalt. Some bleach always remains in the few ounces of left over water. The smell of bleach satisfies most inspectors.

Interesting. Lake Mead (quagga mussel hotspot) has inspection stations. But when I stopped in they weren’t particularly interested in cleaning my kayak, though I gather they would if I wanted it done for some reason.

1 Like