CT and Western Mass.

Any quietwater special spots you wouldn’t mind sharing for some nice 4+ hour paddles. Preferably with lots of wildlife, coves and neat things to see on the edges of some smaller lakes or ponds. Don’t like to disturbed with speed boats either. I own the Quiet Waters book and the Water Trails of Western Mass. also gazatteers of both states that show lots of water, but help me pare them down. Appreciate any good suggestions.

I have the same book
It will take a life time to do them all. Turn to page 292 and go further south fron there. Around the mouth of Connecticut River, there are at least 3 well-marked public landing sites on Rt 156. You can paddle around a lot of marshes. You will see a swan crash landing 10 feet away, an osprey feeding her babies, a kingfisher having a feast, a turtle swimming along with you. This where you don’t want a racing kayak.

Tully Lake, Massachusetts
http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/299_doane_s_falls.cfm

With a side trip from the lake (park kayak and hike short distance, no car needed) to Doanes Falls. Paddle up to Long Pond. Sublime.

paddling places in CT
Ct DEP publishes a book called “A Fisheries Guide to Lakes and Ponds of Connecticut” Bulletin 35. While published for fishing, it lists almost all lakes in CT that are open to the public, gives directions to legal launches, tells lake size, depth, weed conditions, power boat restrictions (if any), and gives directions to launches. I find it is the best source of published information for paddling in CT. Sells for $19.95.

A lake that would be worth checking out is the Compensating Reservoir (now called Lake McDonough) in Barkhamsted. It is owned by the MDC and they charge a parking fee and a use fee, about $4 per car and $4 per boat. In spite of the fees, the lake is great. Clean water, no houses on shore, and the few power boats operate under speed restrictions. Check their website for exact fees and hours. Open from Memorial day to Labor Day.

dave