Curiosity question on "fishing kayaks".

Do all kayak fishermen only go to little water like farm ponds?
People often ask about 12’ , heavy kayaks for this purpose.
Going any distance with them has to be a chore.
Yes, I know there is a fishing forum but it seems lightly used.

I fish from my Eagle Talon 120 (12 foot). I’ve only fished a river and large lakes. I would be greatly disappointed if all I could fish was ponds. Paddling a 12ft isn’t something I would consider a chor, but I’ve never paddled anything smaller so I could be wrong. But I definitely have no problems with it. I wanted the extra room for storage just in case I ever camp from my Kayak. My kayak weighs approximately 80 pounds, not the heaviest but by no means lite either. I’ve been out in mine for 4-5+ hours and hardly get tired (unless the wind is pushing pretty good). Only time I have to really work is if the winds are creating some good wakes, but that’s only if I stop and then try to go again.

@TurtleBoat120 said:
I fish from my Eagle Talon 120 (12 foot). I’ve only fished a river and large lakes. I would be greatly disappointed if all I could fish was ponds. Paddling a 12ft isn’t something I would consider a chor, but I’ve never paddled anything smaller so I could be wrong. But I definitely have no problems with it. I wanted the extra room for storage just in case I ever camp from my Kayak. My kayak weighs approximately 80 pounds, not the heaviest but by no means lite either. I’ve been out in mine for 4-5+ hours and hardly get tired (unless the wind is pushing pretty good). Only time I have to really work is if the winds are creating some good wakes, but that’s only if I stop and then try to go again.

Ok

The weight issue of fishing kayaks is the thing I don’t understand. For a 12-foot kayak to weigh 80 pounds is practically unbelievable to me. I have a 12-foot aluminum Jon boat that’s wide enough that even at that length it’s suitable for two adults plus a 5-horse outboard motor, and its weight is somewhere in the 70s. Any 17-foot canoe that weighs 80 pounds is considered a pig, and about as heavy as any you can find.

As to where they go, it’s clear from online articles that they are popular for near-shore ocean fishing, and I can see where they would be good for that.

I can understand that. But for my kayak, I don’t need a trailer to pay tags and keep up maintance on. I can just slap it on top of my car and go. Easy for me. Plus I would rather paddle a boat 30” kayak versus trying that in a Jon boat. lol

I grew up riding in and fishing from John boats and was done with them in my early 20s. I still hate the smell of 2 cycle engines.

I bring an 18 lb dog to do the work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIZ52s5aDFE

@Guideboatguy said:
The weight issue of fishing kayaks is the thing I don’t understand. For a 12-foot kayak to weigh 80 pounds is practically unbelievable to me. I have a 12-foot aluminum Jon boat that’s wide enough that even at that length it’s suitable for two adults plus a 5-horse outboard motor, and its weight is somewhere in the 70s. Any 17-foot canoe that weighs 80 pounds is considered a pig, and about as heavy as any you can find.

As to where they go, it’s clear from online articles that they are popular for near-shore ocean fishing, and I can see where they would be good for that.

Hey, I am in love with my solo kevlar canoe for inland fishing. I can easily carry the canoe, paddle, rods and gear without a cart, from car to water. Simplicity. :slight_smile:

In the ocean, that’s a whole 'nother set of requirements. I use my scrupper pro (14’x26") SOT, outfitted with a GPS/fishfinder, and have taken it all the way to the outer Boston Harbor islands in pursuit of stripers. It’s approximately 55 lbs and, more importantly, seaworthy and has decent speed (i can maintain 3-3.5 MPH pace comfortably).

The 12’x3X" fishing kayaks at 80lbs are specialized, in that most are pedal power and outfitted with all sorts of fishing related gear. The beauty of this is that fisherperson can regulate speed against current and drift, to maintain his/her lure right over a “hot spot” (or structure) as identified by GPS/fishfinder. In strong currents or winds, I know I have a short window drifting over a hot spot as I can’t fish and paddle at the same time. If it is a good spot, I focus on fishing the drift over the spot and then have to paddle back up into the current and/or wind to get multiple tries at the same spot. These short fishing kayaks are good for certain venues that are closer to shore. There are longer ones at 14-16’ but are at or over 100 lbs when outfitted as fish hunting craft. I have to admit being sometimes jealous when I see one these fishing kayaks kill it over a hot spot. But, not jealous enough to put up with the cost and weight (yet).

sing

Yes, Sing, and that is where I can see the value of such boats for near-shore ocean fishing. When I see them being used on small, quiet inland waters where a canoe would be better, that’s when, to me, it makes no sense to lug around such a beast.

@TurtleBoat120 said:
Plus I would rather paddle a boat 30” kayak versus trying that in a Jon boat. lol

I can see that you’d probably be surprised. As a single rower in that Jon boat, I used to have no trouble keeping up with average canoers. Of course, now that I’m a pretty decent paddler, I don’t see the Jon boat as all that fast or versatile or portable, but the point is that such a boat is faster than you would guess, and the maneuverability in tight places is pretty darned good. And I’d have to say that carrying that boat on my back (canoe-portage style) is a piece of cake compared to carrying a kayak of the same weight using my hands (but a canoe is easier still).

They fish for sailfish off of Panama City ,Florida. Most fishermen in sot hold it down to less than five miles total trip cause they want to fish not paddle and launches are frequent. My 12 ft is around 50#. My ht weight would be better in a 14 ft.

Fishing kayakers can get carried away with “stand up stability” , fishing equipment, motors, batteries, anchors and electronics.